As you may have guessed by te title, this is a group created to stopping impersonation.
Some people think that impersonation isn't all that serious and after a few reports it's dealt with, right? WRONG. Impersonation, whether on the internet or in real life, is ILLEGAL. If you impersonate someone you can face $1,000 fine and/or up to a year in jail, meaning that anyone had the power to take an impersonator to court.
Now, I know this is meant to be a kids site and it's probably never going to get that serious, but I thought it was useful info worth noting.
Bear in mind if you report an impersonator and they get banned they will probably either A. Come back as another impersonation account or B. Just give up.
I'm hoping that most of the time they realise what they've done is wrong and give up, but you always have to be on the look-out. Since many people are often fooled by impersonators or they don't think it's that common, impersonators have a higher chance of getting away with things because, believe it or not, impersonation is actually very common.
Now, i've made a list of things to do when you encounter an impersonator, please remember though that this is only my opinion and you're free to handle an impersonator any way you wish. (As long as you don't threaten or harass them at least).
What To Do With an Impersonator:
- Tell them that it's not good to pretend to be another real person, because it can lead to legal issues in the extremes and is disrespectful.
- Ask them to kindly act like themselves instead of someone else.
- Warn them about reporting them and ask them again nicely to stop.
- Tell others to try convincing the impersonator to stop.
- Be stern about reporting them and be firm about the impersonation. Don't listen to begging and pleading, just tell them.
- Go ahead and report them for impersonation. Make sure to have a good explanation and suitable evidence.