Discuss Scratch

wolfdude999
Scratcher
34 posts

Crab: a Windows 8-style metro implementation of Scratch

I installed it, but I don't think we should use it because I still need a dev license to even make a new file. You can't give me one, so I think we should just use visual studio
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@wolfdude999, I added you to the devs list. Also, I agree on using VS.

Remember when I looked like this? I still do.

Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
wolfdude999
Scratcher
34 posts

How should we start?
I just made a repo on Github, if you guys could tell me your usernames, then I can share it with you.

Last edited by wolfdude999 (June 12, 2013 20:35:10)

GP1
Scratcher
100+ posts

FATAL:
Well, that just destroyed everything. My DreamSpark account has expired, and I can't activate it until I get into a college (will be a while, probably 4 years. A little too long for this ). That means that unless somebody gets a dev license, then we can't do this project.

wolfdude999
Scratcher
34 posts

GP1 wrote:

FATAL:
Well, that just destroyed everything. My DreamSpark account has expired, and I can't activate it until I get into a college (will be a while, probably 4 years. A little too long for this ). That means that unless somebody gets a dev license, then we can't do this project
What if we were to just try and make it for the desktop portion of win 8?
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Why not just use VS?

wolfdude999
Scratcher
34 posts

davidkt wrote:

Why not just use VS?
We would still use visual studio, but it wouldn't be a win 8 app, it would just be a normal program. It wouldn't be as cool, but still a challenge.
pwiter
Scratcher
60 posts

I'd be happy to help, I have Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012. If you need it, my github username is lolzballs.

Another thing, if people don't have a visual studio license, they can get the express version for free. Also, are we making a Metro app, or a classic Windows desktop app which is “Windows 8 Style”(kinda like the github for windows style)?

Last edited by pwiter (June 14, 2013 00:09:40)

wolfdude999
Scratcher
34 posts

pwiter wrote:

I'd be happy to help, I have Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012. If you need it, my github username is lolzballs.

Another thing, if people don't have a visual studio license, they can get the express version for free. Also, are we making a Metro app, or a classic Windows desktop app which is “Windows 8 Style”(kinda like the github for windows style)?
I don't think it will be metro, just a normal program. I also added you on github. How much c# do you know?
Also, we haven't really started anything yet, we are still just deciding how we want to do it.

Last edited by wolfdude999 (June 14, 2013 00:50:23)

pwiter
Scratcher
60 posts

wolfdude999 wrote:

pwiter wrote:

I don't think it will be metro, just a normal program. I also added you on github. How much c# do you know?
Also, we haven't really started anything yet, we are still just deciding how we want to do it.
C# is one of my favourite languages.

Oh and we should make some UI mockups to work off of, before we start doing the UI stuff.
wolfdude999
Scratcher
34 posts

pwiter wrote:

wolfdude999 wrote:

pwiter wrote:

C# is one of my favourite languages.

Oh and we should make some UI mockups to work off of, before we start doing the UI stuff.
I definitely agree, but they shouldn't be that hard due to the fact that we are just mimicking an existing program. We also will need someone who can do decent graphics… I don't know about anyone else, but I am only software, I'm not good with graphics
GP1
Scratcher
100+ posts

Guys, I'm out. I'm sorry, I have too much school work around to do this. I might pop in from time to time, but other than that.

pwiter
Scratcher
60 posts

GP1 wrote:

Guys, I'm out. I'm sorry, I have too much school work around to do this. I might pop in from time to time, but other than that.
That's a shame. D:
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I might be inactive because I'm currently designing my school's online field trip form system.

TC01017
Scratcher
100+ posts

I am still convinced that you should use HTML5. Wouldn't it require just a text editor? And it will be fully compatible with surface, because you can't download from websites, only the app store.
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TC01017 wrote:

Wouldn't it require just a text editor?
You still have to use VS. What's the big deal? You can get VS Express for free.
And it will be fully compatible with surface, because you can't download from websites, only the app store.
Can't do that either with HTML5.

TC01017
Scratcher
100+ posts

davidkt wrote:

TC01017 wrote:

And it will be fully compatible with surface, because you can't download from websites, only the app store.
Yes, but you can put it on a free website server.
AND it wouldn't require the user to download VS

Last edited by TC01017 (June 19, 2013 12:34:01)

wolfdude999
Scratcher
34 posts

TC01017 wrote:

davidkt wrote:

TC01017 wrote:

You can export the project as an exe when you are done
TC01017
Scratcher
100+ posts

wolfdude999 wrote:

TC01017 wrote:

davidkt wrote:

TC01017 wrote:

You can export the project as an exe when you are done
Yes, but that exe wont be able to be downloaded on any windows RT devices, and a website would make it easily sharable. Oh, and I have an idea for the UI

Last edited by TC01017 (June 19, 2013 17:15:29)

easymath123
Scratcher
100+ posts

developers please download and install Microsoft Visual Studio 2012. The “express” version is free.
N-O!
I would rather use the GCC compiler!

Last edited by easymath123 (June 19, 2013 18:55:44)