Discuss Scratch

Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

Learn C#, and then get into Unity - seriously, you can get a job doing that kind of stuff.
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

python2_7 wrote:

I prefer Python, and it is powerful, you can read txt documents, have online databases, and import tons of libraries in.
And if you know the children movie “Despicable Me” the minions where programmed in Python.
I would recommend Python, but if that is too hard you could try QB64 which is a bit simpler.
Though keep on programming!
Thanks for that note!

Zeusking19 wrote:

Learn C#, and then get into Unity - seriously, you can get a job doing that kind of stuff.
Maybe…….

Firedrake969 wrote:

Seriously, consider JavaScript/HTML/CSS/jQuery.
I AM.

You know, I am thinking of being an IT. So I think I'll need JS, Python, and maybe: jQuery, C#, Unity…
I'm doing HTML and CSS. I think I just have to try every one….

Scratch has evolved from its origins, for better or worse.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Some IT jobs don't require you to know how to program, by the way. I believe you mean you want to be a software engineer.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

The way I am headed is Systems Administrator, so if you are interested in getting there it might be a good idea to learn a language and then learn automation like Puppet or Chef, but that is just for the sysadmin inclined bunch of us.
itchy20
Scratcher
100+ posts

All languages are tools with their strengths and weaknesses. I have been coding a long time and have long ago lost count of the number of languages I have learned, used, and am still using to this day.

My favorite language of the moment is Python, but in spite of that, I will be introducing my Middle School (ages 10-14) after school club students to JavaScript. I am basing my lesson plans on 3D Game Programming For Kids.

Whatever language you pick, be prepared for the fact that it most likely will not be the last one you learn.
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Some IT jobs don't require you to know how to program, by the way. I believe you mean you want to be a software engineer.
Maybe…I might be a Google/FB engineer…

itchy20 wrote:

All languages are tools with their strengths and weaknesses. I have been coding a long time and have long ago lost count of the number of languages I have learned, used, and am still using to this day.

My favorite language of the moment is Python, but in spite of that, I will be introducing my Middle School (ages 10-14) after school club students to JavaScript. I am basing my lesson plans on 3D Game Programming For Kids.

Whatever language you pick, be prepared for the fact that it most likely will not be the last one you learn.
Thank you! That's some good advice.

Btw, I heard that Starbound is coded in Lua. C+?? That's interesting to know…

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I suggest learning advanced algorithms before moving on…I made that mistake(at least I know javascript and python).
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also Obj-C is relatively easy to get to grips with. You can use it for iOS and OS X. Search Xcode.
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

Blaze349 wrote:

I suggest learning advanced algorithms before moving on…I made that mistake(at least I know javascript and python).
Excuse, my ignorance. Algorithms?

Blaze349 wrote:

Also Obj-C is relatively easy to get to grips with. You can use it for iOS and OS X. Search Xcode.
Well, there are different languages for different things, I see.

astro-mechanic
Scratcher
500+ posts

python2_7 wrote:

I prefer Python, and it is powerful, you can read txt documents, have online databases, and import tons of libraries in.

Every general-purpose language can do that.

sign here
emperor of shiny things
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blaze349 wrote:

Swift is taking over IOS.

Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'd say Python.
I dislike JavaScript and find C++ impossible to understand. Python is more understandable.

MrFlash67
Scratcher
500+ posts

Deerleg wrote:

I'd say Python.
I dislike JavaScript and find C++ impossible to understand. Python is more understandable.
this-ish

PS1='C:${PWD//\//\\\}>'
JoCLee
Scratcher
100+ posts

Seems like the majority of people prefer Python. I must admit it is easier than JS. However, I think I will need JS to become a good IT.

AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

JoCLee wrote:

Seems like the majority of people prefer Python. I must admit it is easier than JS. However, I think I will need JS to become a good IT.
No. Just no. Python has a syntax that is basically unique to itself, as it is an interpreted language. It also is probably more useful for server-side or automated boring processes than anything like a commercial application or a game.

So for server-side scripting it's great, otherwise, it's a bit crazy.

JS, however, has similar syntax to things like Java, C#, and other C based languages, including C itself.

Personally, I started with C#. It was interesting, but it seems to be more for professional Windows applications than games, and I was trying to make games.

Java is for the most part general-purpose. It's also the programming language for the best-selling PC game of all time.
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MrFlash67 wrote:

Deerleg wrote:

I'd say Python.
this-ish
JS is really easy to understand. C++ maybe not so much.

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

turkey3 wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

Not fora few months…
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blaze349 wrote:

turkey3 wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

Not fora few months…
After those few months, Swift will be the primary language.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
MrFlash67
Scratcher
500+ posts

AonymousGuy wrote:

best-selling PC game of all time.
[citation needed]
(And, when I tried Java, I really hated it.)

PS1='C:${PWD//\//\\\}>'
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

For games only Flash is pretty good as well as Java. Making games with JavaScript can be quite tricky.