Discuss Scratch

Wettining
Scratcher
500+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

Luka1233 wrote:

After Scratch, i rather next you guys should learn HTML, next JS, then python, next c, then css, last c++!
hmm well considering HTML isn't a programming language and more of a markup language, same with CSS, I don't know if that's the best way to learn programming languages
herohamp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

Luka1233 wrote:

After Scratch, i rather next you guys should learn HTML, next JS, then python, next c, then css, last c++!
No just no. That makes no gosh darn sense.
Learn either HTML <-> CSS <-> JS in any order

or learn C++ -> C

and just never learn python it's garbage psuedocode
TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

herohamp wrote:

Luka1233 wrote:

After Scratch, i rather next you guys should learn HTML, next JS, then python, next c, then css, last c++!
No just no. That makes no gosh darn sense.
Learn either HTML <-> CSS <-> JS in any order

or learn C++ -> C

and just never learn python it's garbage psuedocode
No, Python is a great first language. It doesn't scare you away by overly strict type systems and allows for great customization with the C FFI. The type system can make you lazy though if you move to a language like C. Afterwards once you've mastered Python you can extend your code with C integration using the FFI and Python.h.
Wettining
Scratcher
500+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

herohamp wrote:

Luka1233 wrote:

After Scratch, i rather next you guys should learn HTML, next JS, then python, next c, then css, last c++!
No just no. That makes no gosh darn sense.
Learn either HTML <-> CSS <-> JS in any order

or learn C++ -> C

and just never learn python it's garbage psuedocode
To expand on this, Nim and Rust are great languages that are similar to C and C++ (which can allow you to learn those two later on if you want) and Nim I know lets you compile down to C++ and/or Javascript
TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

Wettining wrote:

herohamp wrote:

Luka1233 wrote:

After Scratch, i rather next you guys should learn HTML, next JS, then python, next c, then css, last c++!
No just no. That makes no gosh darn sense.
Learn either HTML <-> CSS <-> JS in any order

or learn C++ -> C

and just never learn python it's garbage psuedocode
To expand on this, Nim and Rust are great languages that are similar to C and C++ (which can allow you to learn those two later on if you want) and Nim I know lets you compile down to C++ and/or Javascript
Nim is great. Some things about it are weird but for the most part it's pretty cool. Next they need a WASM target.
Brain52
Scratcher
68 posts

What To Learn After Scratch

batari Basic is a good one.

But in all honesty I started programing from a lego mindstorm nxt set, after that I discover visual basic 6 within microsoft word and leared how to use it from an old visual basic 5 book. After that I used scratch 1.4 preinstalled on my raspberry pi, I've learned others afterwards but always went back to scratch.

Last edited by Brain52 (Nov. 23, 2018 22:44:02)


Hewwo dere! I do various things, like cosplaying/fursuiting, gaming, coding, art, 3D modeling, and more!
NitroCipher
Scratcher
500+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

I recently started using a Javascript library called P5 Play. It has a simple sprite system, so I feel that it is a good transition if you are getting into javascript.

Last edited by NitroCipher (Nov. 29, 2018 21:56:40)


I hope my post helped you in some way! Post count: 500+

Current project: [s3Blocks: scratchblocks rewritten for Scratch 3.0] ::#4b4a60 //https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/290031/ Basically done!
This is my signature identifier “aWFtbml0cm9jaXBoZXI=”
LanceZealot
New to Scratch
7 posts

What To Learn After Scratch

I would probably go with C++
CormanYT
Scratcher
5 posts

What To Learn After Scratch

This might be a bit of a necro-post but I do think this is an important topic so I'll dive into what I think.

Scratch, Snap and other similar languages are mainly made to introduce you to programming, they don't offer you too many real features. For example, Scratch functions are limited and unable to return values, and lists cannot contain other lists. Scratch only can interpret Strings and Integers, too. If you want to try something else, I'll give you some of my feedback. However, I'm not you to don't treat it like the bible.

C# and Java - C# and Java are advanced OOP languages, but they aren't as beginner-friendly as some of the other ones. C# and other C family languages are great for games, software and other programs, but not good for beginning after Scratch.

Python - Python is quite a good choice. It's still quite a big jump but Python offers pretty easy syntax compared to some other languages and can help you understand OOP simply. After Python, jumping to Java or C# will be easier and I will recommend after Python you try one of these. Python is also good for backend web-development.

JavaScript - JavaScript complements Python, quite a lot. They have decently similar syntax, and JavaScript is also quite easy. If you want another good choice, try JS. JavaScript is quite good for frontend web development but can also be used for some backend. It works great with CSS and HTML, too.

Ruby - I heard it's quite similar to Python in syntax, so I dunno.

Game Engine (EX: GameMaker Studio) - I don't think these are real programming languages, but some of the more basic ones feature other languages. Unity features one of the C languages, GameMaker has its own language, if you want to do game development, these are a decent choice.

Other Languages - I don't know many of these, each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

For a conclusion, each language is different. Some have advanced syntax, others are simpler. Some are limited in certain ways, others aren't. It just depends what you want to accomplish, and how you want to do it. Try out all of these options and other ones too, and see what fits you. However, I do recommend you start with a easier language like Python/JavaScript/Ruby before moving to more advanced ones. Good luck!
Wettining
Scratcher
500+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

CormanYT wrote:

This might be a bit of a necro-post but I do think this is an important topic so I'll dive into what I think.

Scratch, Snap and other similar languages are mainly made to introduce you to programming, they don't offer you too many real features. For example, Scratch functions are limited and unable to return values, and lists cannot contain other lists. Scratch only can interpret Strings and Integers, too. If you want to try something else, I'll give you some of my feedback. However, I'm not you to don't treat it like the bible.

C# and Java - C# and Java are advanced OOP languages, but they aren't as beginner-friendly as some of the other ones. C# and other C family languages are great for games, software and other programs, but not good for beginning after Scratch.

Python - Python is quite a good choice. It's still quite a big jump but Python offers pretty easy syntax compared to some other languages and can help you understand OOP simply. After Python, jumping to Java or C# will be easier and I will recommend after Python you try one of these. Python is also good for backend web-development.

JavaScript - JavaScript complements Python, quite a lot. They have decently similar syntax, and JavaScript is also quite easy. If you want another good choice, try JS. JavaScript is quite good for frontend web development but can also be used for some backend. It works great with CSS and HTML, too.

Ruby - I heard it's quite similar to Python in syntax, so I dunno.

Game Engine (EX: GameMaker Studio) - I don't think these are real programming languages, but some of the more basic ones feature other languages. Unity features one of the C languages, GameMaker has its own language, if you want to do game development, these are a decent choice.

Other Languages - I don't know many of these, each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

For a conclusion, each language is different. Some have advanced syntax, others are simpler. Some are limited in certain ways, others aren't. It just depends what you want to accomplish, and how you want to do it. Try out all of these options and other ones too, and see what fits you. However, I do recommend you start with a easier language like Python/JavaScript/Ruby before moving to more advanced ones. Good luck!
Snap! is definitely a step up from Scratch and has more features than a lot of mainstream languages, whether that makes it any better is up to debate. But in any case, it's completely do-able to be considered a language

Honestly, I would recommend a small language with a small community behind it so you have to figure things out for yourself and if things ever do get too tough you can just ask. Many of these recommended languages such as Python, JavaScript, C++, etc have many copy-paste solutions, which of course is mainly the learner's fault, which smaller languages do not have just from the lack of people using it. It may sound weird, but doing this will push yourself to do things yourself and not search for solutions.

My personal choice is FreeBasic because it's just QBasic on steroids and other than that, maybe Haskell or Scheme or something since they are more directly to solving a question rather than coding around for fun (which is what FreeBasic is more for)
Bacteria999
Scratcher
500+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

I would like an easy to learn but powerful language in game development, what do you advise?
Wettining
Scratcher
500+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

Bacteria999 wrote:

I would like an easy to learn but powerful language in game development, what do you advise?
Look at Godot
You can program using their Visual Scripting or use GDScript which is basically Python
PizzaPizza72
Scratcher
21 posts

What To Learn After Scratch

define Where are the cat blocks??? :(
PizzaPizza72
Scratcher
21 posts

What To Learn After Scratch

when green flag clicked
say [Sorry for the circle at the end of my frowny face. It's supposed to look like this: :(]
PizzaPizza72
Scratcher
21 posts

What To Learn After Scratch

when green flag clicked
forever
switch costume to [KITTY!]
switch costume to [KITTY PLEASE STAY ON MY BLOCKS!!]
end
Bacteria999
Scratcher
500+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

PizzaPizza72 wrote:

when green flag clicked
forever
switch costume to [KITTY!]
switch costume to [KITTY PLEASE STAY ON MY BLOCKS!!]
end

Please don't blockspam.
pufflegamerz
Scratcher
100+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

For web things: Html5
For non-web things: Python

Html5 isn't that great for games, but it is the easy to get started with.

Edit: If you are brave enough, C isn't that hard.

Last edited by pufflegamerz (May 19, 2020 05:46:08)


My thingies are here: https://pufflegamerz.github.io/
Also check out v.ht/pacer (it's epic)
NxNmultiply
Scratcher
100+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

PizzaPizza72 wrote:

define Where are the cat blocks??? :(

PizzaPizza72 wrote:

when green flag clicked
say [Sorry for the circle at the end of my frowny face. It's supposed to look like this: :(]
Use a backslash before the character to escape it
define Where are the cat blocks??? :\(
Akshay_M
New to Scratch
5 posts

What To Learn After Scratch

JoCLee wrote:

Hello everyone, I would like your opinions on this. What should I learn after Scratch? I'm a bit overwhelmed, cause there's Stencyl, Alice, Greeenfoot, BYOB… Maybe you could share your opinions on what you've used and how you used it?
I'm kind of looking for something a little more advanced, but with the simplicity of Scratch. Thanks for reading this everyone!
P.S. Please post if you have used any of the soft wares listed.

If you’re completely new to programming, Scratch is a great way to get started. Code.org has some nicely graduated puzzle-based tutorials introducing the basics: sequencing, repetition, conditions, etc. You will soon reach the point where you want to do things that are difficult to achieve in Scratch, at which point you will need to move to a more traditional text-based programming language.
BerryCake11
Scratcher
2 posts

What To Learn After Scratch

Hello! I Think Snap! Is A Good Okay Site.
say [Thanks!] for (2) secs
when I receive [Scracth Is Replaced v]
say [I LOVE SCRATCH! NEVER REPLACE!] for (2) secs

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile