1000+ posts

What To Learn After Scratch

algmwc5 wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

algmwc5 wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

algmwc5 wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

With C you can do anything! Anything at all!
But it doesn't have OOP
With C++ you can do anything! Anything at all!
but…

Jonathan50 wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

That isn't true, you can't get 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 free ice creams
It goes the same thing with C++ and most other languages
Also, you can't forge a One Ring using C++
Have you ever tried? Anything is possible if you believe

Lots of coding billionaires can do that due to c++ and c
awesome-llama
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think this topic was quite dead, and has been bumped back up. I think the OP would have moved on already. Edit: they are still on scratch.

It should have been left sleeping.

Last edited by awesome-llama (Sept. 30, 2016 12:08:16)

↑↑ Click any of the images for an awesome project! ↑↑
◃◁ Click this for my YT channel! ▷▹

My 500th post: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/189237/?page=1#post-1861516
My 1000th post: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/216809/?page=1#post-2193087
My 1500th post: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/234381/?page=1#post-2388018
YmFja3VwLXNpZ2d5LWlk Google this to see my posts.
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

Well you can do everything a Turing machine can do and more.

Edit: I have this bad habit now of not ending sentences with periods, exclamation marks or question marks… (edit 2: or ellipses)
…but most programming languages (probably any programming language anybody would suggest for somebody to “move on to” from Scratch) can do that also.

Last edited by Jonathan50 (Sept. 30, 2016 21:41:00)

algmwc5
Scratcher
100+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

Well you can do everything a Turing machine can do and more.

Edit: I have this bad habit now of not ending sentences with periods, exclamation marks or question marks… (edit 2: or ellipses)
…but most programming languages (probably any programming language anybody would suggest for somebody to “move on to” from Scratch) can do that also.
But doing “anything you want” is not that simple

IcyCoder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A good step up is a site that I am helping make called LilCoders that uses javascript + HTML5 Canvas + we are working on having a scratch like community. https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/219869/

Because JS is the future (echos) future future futur futu fut fu f
SC_DStwo_Master
Scratcher
100+ posts

algmwc5 wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

But it doesn't have OOP
Actually, it technically does, just not native. You can do this (and this is how C++ OOP works):
struct myClass
{
Int example;
};

void exampleFunc(myClass* this)
{
//Do what you want, refer to the class using *this
}
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

SC_DStwo_Master wrote:

Actually, it technically does, just not native. You can do this (and this is how C++ OOP works):
You can do OOP in C, but C does not have an OOP system built-in. And that isn't OOP.

Last edited by Jonathan50 (Oct. 1, 2016 08:04:41)

SC_DStwo_Master
Scratcher
100+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

SC_DStwo_Master wrote:

You can do OOP in C, but C does not have an OOP system built-in. And that isn't OOP.
How isn't it? You are making functions to manipulate an object. Just because it doesn't have the abstractions C++ has, doesn't make it not oop
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

SC_DStwo_Master wrote:

How isn't it? You are making functions to manipulate an object. Just because it doesn't have the abstractions C++ has, doesn't make it not oop
OOP isn't just data abstraction, OOP is state, message passing and inheritance. Your example only has one of those. Using any OOP system you could do something like
class Base
{
public:
void test();
};

class Foo: public Base
{
public:
void test()
{
puts("foo");
}
};

class Bar: public Base
{
public:
void test()
{
puts("bar");
}
};

void test(Base *object)
{
object->test();
}
and “test” would output something different depending on whether it was given a Foo instance or a Bar instance.

Last edited by Jonathan50 (Oct. 1, 2016 22:18:44)

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

SC_DStwo_Master wrote:

OOP isn't just data abstraction, OOP is state, message passing and inheritance. Your example only has one of those. Using any OOP system you could do something like
class Foo
void test()
puts("bar");

class Bar
void test()
puts("bar");
and “test” would output something different depending on whether it was given a Foo instance or a Bar instance.
Both foo->test and bar->test output bar

202e-202e-202e-202e-202e UNI-CODE~~~~~
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

liam48D wrote:

Both foo->test and bar->test output bar
Lol fixed
UberBlast
Scratcher
5 posts

If you are interested in making games, choose a game engine to learn, and then choose a language to learn that the game engine uses. Here are the most used game engines:
Unity3D
Unreal Engine 4
Lumberyard
Frostbite
Source 2

If you want the best all rounder, use Unity3D
EDO2012
Scratcher
100+ posts

Frontend (HTML,CSS,Javascript)

Winedmoves
New to Scratch
11 posts

Learn to show your name on scratch.
birdoftheday
Scratcher
500+ posts

Not sure what that means. If you mean real name, some people do, some people don't. But this thread is about programming languages

Am I the only person who likes 3.0 better than 2.0, or do the people who do just not talk about it?
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

birdoftheday wrote:

Not sure what that means. If you mean real name, some people do, some people don't. But this thread is about programming languages
There is a tutorial built into Scratch that shows how to animate your name. I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread though.

who needs signatures
Scratcher768
Scratcher
8 posts

Personally, I am doing Scratch and CodeAcademy at the same time. In codeacademy, I started with html, then css, and now JavaScript. Do CodeAcademy, It's the best (you can still do scratch like me).
Scratcher768
Scratcher
8 posts

EDO2012 wrote:

Frontend (HTML,CSS,Javascript)
forever
say [EXACTLY WHAT I DID! (though I did not leave scratch)]
end
SuperDoom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

6502. The ROMhacking/NES homebrew community needs to get bigger.

WARNING: Anything I post is either stupid, sarcastic, or ironic. I am not to be taken seriously. Feel free to make fun of me for anything I say.
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
essentiallibertyisfreedomofspeech~Benjamin Franklin (This is my motto for replying to suggestions.)
As of 83G1NN1NG/0F/71M3, I use color #322F31 for my posts. If it's a link, I use #1AA0D8.
CLICK THIS LINK TO INSTANTLY CRASH THE SERVERS
Alexa, play Space Invaders.
As of November 7th, 2019, I have my computer back.
I'm awake from 11:00 AM to 11:30 PM CST (12:00 PM to 12:30 AM EST). Please be more active during that time.
I've moved to -THENEXT_LEVEL-.
Luka1233
Scratcher
6 posts

After Scratch, i rather next you guys should learn HTML, next JS, then python, next c, then css, last c++!

Last edited by Luka1233 (Jan. 5, 2018 18:30:08)