Discuss Scratch

EIephant_Lover
Scratcher
500+ posts

Is it possible for the ST to recover a deleted account?

It just seems like it should be possible (title).

If you deleted your account and didn't log back in after three days, so it was “permanently deleted,” I mean. Maybe this is only if you kept projects, but for example, a user shares 15 projects, and has 6 unshared, and then deletes their account (permanently). But, they choose “keep my projects.” Would the ST allow that same user to make their account again, the same username? And since their projects were kept, do they get the shared ones? What about unshared? I feel like it wouldn't be too hard to recover at the very least a deleted username.

64lu
Scratcher
100+ posts

I could imagine them bringing back a deleted username, if the deleted account owner matched up with the person who is asking for it back. probably only in certain cases where the account was deleted without the account owner knowing somehow

be moist
what's a stick?
bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Here's an excerpt from the privacy policy that may be relevant here (bold added by me):
If you want to delete your account, login to Scratch, and then click your username in the top right-hand corner. Select “Account Settings,” then click the “I want to delete my account” link at the bottom of the page. Deleting your account hides all information from public view, but does not remove all of your information from our servers. If you want to have all of your information removed from our servers, please contact help@scratch.mit.edu for assistance.

(I would presume that having “all of your information removed from our servers” would mean that your account would turn into something like the GDPR accounts, though I don't know much about those laws.)

“Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right.” -Jane Goodall

EIephant_Lover
Scratcher
500+ posts

Bump. I know it's not on the first page but I'm not sure it has been a full 24 hours…

Edit: Yep haha by a few minutes

Last edited by EIephant_Lover (July 14, 2020 00:53:23)