Discuss Scratch

--Explosion--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Suggestion: Improve the Project Reporting System

Dat_Cellist538 wrote:

You guys! I asked a scratch team member, and they said that even if a project is automatically taken down, a scratch moderator ALWAYS looks at it and if it was a troll report it gets reshared!
Yes but that can take a while, for example my project Found which was spam reported was temporarily unshared because multiple accounts reported it, by the time it was reviewed the place on trending had dropped significantly because I beleive time is a big factor in which projects are trending.
Dasemboh
Scratcher
17 posts

--Explosion-- wrote:

Dat_Cellist538 wrote:

You guys! I asked a scratch team member, and they said that even if a project is automatically taken down, a scratch moderator ALWAYS looks at it and if it was a troll report it gets reshared!
Yes but that can take a while, for example my project Found which was spam reported was temporarily unshared because multiple accounts reported it, by the time it was reviewed the place on trending had dropped significantly because I beleive time is a big factor in which projects are trending.

Ooof, I'm sorry about that >. <
WarriorsRoleplayer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support.

RockDrake_1
Scratcher
2 posts

I agree with I8D
Matt_Cawthon
Scratcher
15 posts

Dat_Cellist538 wrote:

Dasemboh wrote:

Matt_Cawthon wrote:

Dasemboh wrote:

I8D wrote:

Matt_Cawthon wrote:

guys, the reporting problem happenned again, this time to @TimMcTest, he had a project about fixing the report system, and it got reported multiple times for being “innapropriate” when it was just a suoer long list of scratchers who wanted it fixed! THE SCRATCH TEAM MUST CHANGE THE REPORT SYSTEM
OMG the irony

Oof, really?! >. <
yes, really.

Oof >. <

IKR well at least it’s been updated
yep.
Dasemboh
Scratcher
17 posts

Matt_Cawthon wrote:

Dat_Cellist538 wrote:

Dasemboh wrote:

Matt_Cawthon wrote:

Dasemboh wrote:

I8D wrote:

Matt_Cawthon wrote:

guys, the reporting problem happenned again, this time to @TimMcTest, he had a project about fixing the report system, and it got reported multiple times for being “innapropriate” when it was just a suoer long list of scratchers who wanted it fixed! THE SCRATCH TEAM MUST CHANGE THE REPORT SYSTEM
OMG the irony

Oof, really?! >. <
yes, really.

Oof >. <

IKR well at least it’s been updated
yep.

Still… the irony though o. o
carot3_testing
Scratcher
1 post

This is a very interesting topic, and I agree. People should also be warned, as it should say. ‘If you report this project for no particular reason, you will be suspended’ Then People cant report without a reason. I am working on an interview about this topic. Many people don't like it, an maybe they could take away they Report button. They should have a ‘HELP’ button instead.
Dasemboh
Scratcher
17 posts

carot3_testing wrote:

This is a very interesting topic, and I agree. People should also be warned, as it should say. ‘If you report this project for no particular reason, you will be suspended’ Then People cant report without a reason. I am working on an interview about this topic. Many people don't like it, an maybe they could take away they Report button. They should have a ‘HELP’ button instead.

Yeahhh. That could work.
ShaNyiah0818
Scratcher
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

ShaNyiah0818 wrote:

tats

DrGaming_92Games wrote:

ShaNyiah0818 wrote:

wait REALLY?! but it's not like we're showing parts were not suppose to show it's just a face

I believe Za-Chary said that having your face in your profile picture is okay but just not in projects.
why mine

DrGaming_92Games wrote:

ShaNyiah0818 wrote:

wait REALLY?! but it's not like we're showing parts were not suppose to show it's just a face

I believe Za-Chary said that having your face in your profile picture is okay but just not in projects.
got taken down
A “face reveal” project, that is, a project where your face is the main focus, is not allowed. We have found in the past that these types of projects lead to inappropriate and unhealthy comments.
oh thx for explaining sir

Hey it's ShaNyiah0818 here!! I'm the founder of Profile/Logo/Icon orders where we do your pfp!! I am also a founder of the mentors available program where we online tutor it can be scratch learning or educational learning and the service is free!! I also voice act if you need voice actors!! I'm the assistant for the Perfect Pearls shop!! I'm 11, which my birthday is August 18. Do you need tips while we all are going through this rough time, just come to my profile!!!!
lisa_wolfgang
Scratcher
100+ posts

How about a more severe punishment for false reporting?
Here's my idea:
  • On first offense, a 12-hour ban accompanied by a very serious warning page explaining that such activity is not fair to the project creator.
  • On second offense, a permanent ban of the IP address from social use of Scratch.

Want to try the stage on the left again? Go here for instructions.
Dasemboh
Scratcher
17 posts

lisa_wolfgang wrote:

Here's my idea:
  • On first offense, a 12-hour ban accompanied by a very serious warning page explaining that such activity is not fair to the project creator.
  • On second offense, a permanent ban of the IP address from social use of Scratch.

Hm. That sounds a bit severe for me, although that's just my opinion, I think it should be permanent ban of the IP address on a third offense.
For example,

- First offense: 12-hour ban, and a very serious warning page.
- Second offense: 48-hour ban, the same warning page again, and muted for the next 96 hours.
- Third offense: Perm-ban of the IP address of social use of Scratch.

I just thought of this on the spot, and I bet this could be fixed up more, but yeah, just a thought.
Dat_Cellist538
Scratcher
87 posts

Dasemboh wrote:

lisa_wolfgang wrote:

Here's my idea:

Hm. That sounds a bit severe for me, although that's just my opinion, I think it should be permanent ban of the IP address on a third offense.
For example,

- Second offense: 48-hour ban, the same warning page again, and muted for the next 96 hours.

I just thought of this on the spot, and I bet this could be fixed up more, but yeah, just a thought.

It all seems extreme but i like it
lisa_wolfgang
Scratcher
100+ posts

Dat_Cellist538 wrote:

Dasemboh wrote:

lisa_wolfgang wrote:

*snip*

For example,

It all seems extreme but i like it
Exactly. That's what will make people NOT DO IT.

Za-Chary
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

lisa_wolfgang wrote:

Here's my idea:
The issue I see with this is that people report content accidentally sometimes. I think an account block is a little harsh for someone who didn't know that “I don't like this game” is not a good reason to report a project. An alert would suffice for that.

And then, if we incorporate these strict punishments for reporting projects, we may as well do it for the rest of the stuff that can be reported, right? So then those who accidentally report comments might be getting banned over an accident. Seems a little harsh.

The IP block is also a little tricky, and can't always be enforced, because that could cause entire schools of accounts to be blocked if one troublemaker student wants to falsely report a few projects.

University of Minnesota Mathematics major, Scratch Team member, and Nintendo enthusiast.

Za-Chary's Game Museum
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions
Interesting mathematics I am currently studying [updated 5/27/2020]
Dasemboh
Scratcher
17 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

lisa_wolfgang wrote:

Here's my idea:
The issue I see with this is that people report content accidentally sometimes. I think an account block is a little harsh for someone who didn't know that “I don't like this game” is not a good reason to report a project. An alert would suffice for that.

And then, if we incorporate these strict punishments for reporting projects, we may as well do it for the rest of the stuff that can be reported, right? So then those who accidentally report comments might be getting banned over an accident. Seems a little harsh.

The IP block is also a little tricky, and can't always be enforced, because that could cause entire schools of accounts to be blocked if one troublemaker student wants to falsely report a few projects.

Hmm. Maybe you can take back reports? And if you took back too many reports, then it'd count as an offense?
Dat_Cellist538
Scratcher
87 posts

Ooh! How about you need to enter ur password to report?
lisa_wolfgang
Scratcher
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

lisa_wolfgang wrote:

Here's my idea:

With the new system, though, there’s an option to select innocently invalid options, which prevents the report from ever being sent.

Projects are arguably the most central and time-consuming part of Scratch. It’s okay if a comment, forum post, or even studio gets temporarily removed, but projects are the only medium affected by this because share time is such a crucial aspect for many users.

Upon retrospection, I realize that social blocking might be a bit harsh. Perhaps only the user’s ability to report is removed for a couple months.

I like @Dasemboh’s three-strike idea:

“Dasemboh” wrote:

- Second offense: 48 12-hour ban, the same warning page again, and muted for the next 96 hours.
- Third offense: Perm- 6-month ban of the IP address of social use of Scratch reporting.

Dasemboh
Scratcher
17 posts

lisa_wolfgang wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

lisa_wolfgang wrote:

Here's my idea:

With the new system, though, there’s an option to select innocently invalid options, which prevents the report from ever being sent.

Projects are arguably the most central and time-consuming part of Scratch. It’s okay if a comment, forum post, or even studio gets temporarily removed, but projects are the only medium affected by this because share time is such a crucial aspect for many users.

Upon retrospection, I realize that social blocking might be a bit harsh. Perhaps only the user’s ability to report is removed for a couple months.

I like @Dasemboh’s three-strike idea:

“Dasemboh” wrote:

First offense: 12-hour ban, and a very serious warning page.
Second offense: 48 12-hour ban, the same warning page again, and muted for the next 96 hours.
Third offense: Perm- 6-month ban of the IP address of social use of Scratch reporting.

That sounds way better.
hedgehog_blue
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lisa_wolfgang wrote:

Here's my idea:
Adding such strict measures will people away from reporting, and that might stop content that is slightly bad from being reported, because people want to be on the safe side even though it really is reportable.

It sort of already warns you, because selecting the new fake options like “this project doesn't work” just tell the reporter, without consequences, that those aren't real reasons.

But perhaps when a report is false, the scratch team can judge how false the report was and how likely it was that the reporter knew they were doing something wrong in determining consequences.

Little_Mammoth
Scratcher
10 posts

I agree with you. Scratch should see the project them self so they can see if they can block it or not, not the scratchers. But if that was to happen scratch would be tired.