Discuss Scratch

BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

The thing is, why would people go onto a programming language for children to learn about the coronavirus?
Why would they believe a programming language for children?
The children aren't the ones looking for signs of the coronavirus and calling the hospital when they notice the symptoms.
A lot of people are making projects about COVID-19, and some have some misinformation. This is to prevent misinformation from being spread as there are sites right there providing correct information.

(By the way, I support. I just don't have anything to say that hasn't been said already)

EDIT: Page 7

Last edited by BearSlothCoding (April 5, 2020 20:30:09)

This is my signature, which automatically appears under my posts. I'm not advertising, I'm just posting.
To change your signature, go to Discussion Home and scroll all the way down where you should see “Change your signature.” Click that, make your signature whatever you want it to be, click the gray “submit” button at the bottom and you're done!
Everything here is clickable!
-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

Hi There! I'm -Accio-

Potterhead | Ravenclaw | Forum Helper | SDS Curator | Science | Math

Stay Home, Save Lives
Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

The thing is, why would people go onto a programming language for children to learn about the coronavirus?
The children aren't the ones looking for signs of the coronavirus and calling the hospital when they notice the symptoms.
A lot of people are making projects about COVID-19, and some have some misinformation. This is to prevent misinformation from being spread as there are sites right there providing correct information.

(By the way, I support. I just don't have anything to say that hasn't been said already)

But my point is, why would anyone listen to a programming website? People don't go on Scratch to learn about COVID-19.

https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/26871465/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/411738/
this is the butterfly cult

all shall obey the butterfly

our numbers shall increase and we will become unstoppable rulers of the world

Za-Chary wrote:

And, at the very least, I would discourage others from telling people that they have “blockspammed” in the forums. If it really is spam, just use the Report button and move on.To any forum helper / mini-mod who reads this, when you come across a necropost, I'd suggest doing nothing and instead maybe reporting the topic. If there doesn't appear to be a need for the topic to remain open, ask for it to be closed within the report.I suggest that, instead of trying to respond to these users asking them not to necropost, that you just use the Report button and ask us to take it down due to spam.
-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

But my point is, why would anyone listen to a programming website? People don't go on Scratch to learn about COVID-19.
The point of this suggestion isn't to directly inform people, but rather to prevent people from being misinformed.

Hi There! I'm -Accio-

Stay Home, Save Lives
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

They're not going on Scratch just to learn about COVID, they're going on Scratch for Scratch but there will be those articles to prevent the spread of misinformation.

Last edited by BearSlothCoding (April 7, 2020 15:42:59)

This is my signature, which automatically appears under my posts. I'm not advertising, I'm just posting.
To change your signature, go to Discussion Home and scroll all the way down where you should see “Change your signature.” Click that, make your signature whatever you want it to be, click the gray “submit” button at the bottom and you're done!
PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

but what if i make a project about some sort of other disease like influenza, ebola, SARS, black death, the metal virus, or plague inc scenarios

Last edited by PrincessPandaLover (April 7, 2020 15:53:55)

(REST IN PEACE, TINYPIC (2004-19))

Hmmm…
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

but what if i make a project about some sort of other disease like influenza, ebola, SARS, black death, the metal virus, or plague inc scenarios
I'm sorry but what's your point? Are you saying that since those are diseases the same type of warning should appear? None of those diseases are ravaging the entire Earth and aren't as big so that would be pointless.

PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

I'm sorry but what's your point? Are you saying that since those are diseases the same type of warning should appear? None of those diseases are ravaging the entire Earth and aren't as big so that would be pointless.
You mentioned keywords like “virus” and “epidemic”, and those been around since the beginning of time.
(And what if I made a project about the kingdom of Corona from Tangled or the music group Corona?)

Last edited by PrincessPandaLover (April 7, 2020 22:30:55)

(REST IN PEACE, TINYPIC (2004-19))

Hmmm…
-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

You mentioned keywords like “virus” and “epidemic”, and those been around since the beginning of time.
(And what if I made a project about the kingdom of Corona from Tangled or the music group Corona?)
Unfortunately, there will be false positives for almost any type of word filter system, but ideally, most of the projects caught would have something to do with COVID-19.

Hi There! I'm -Accio-

Stay Home, Save Lives
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Accio- wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Unfortunately, there will be false positives for almost any type of word filter system, but ideally, most of the projects caught would have something to do with COVID-19.

Besides, he/she said that the keywords were examples. The Scratch Team will probably decide on all the keywords that will be used.

Hello! I'm an AI creator, sprite ripper, sprite artist, Shovel Knight fan, Mega Man fan, Star Wars fan, pizza lover, cutscene and speech designer, and gaming enthusiast. Also, please, call me by my nickname, SSB20.

Playable Robot Master/Stardroid Sprites
Elec Man: The Video Game Studio
Project Bass Development Team
The Underrated Studio
Super_Scratch_Bros20 Fan Club
How SSB20 Are You?
Vote!
A-E-
Scratcher
100+ posts

I support, to help stop misinformation. Maybe the WHO isn't the best place to link to though, since it is not targeted towards Scratch's age group, but I'm sure there are other places that would work to link to.
NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Although Scratch may not be a Wikipedia, everyone should know the right facts. There has been too much misinformation. Considering this is controversial, I don't know what the ST will do about it, perhaps there are alternatives?

A-E- wrote:

I support, to help stop misinformation. Maybe the WHO isn't the best place to link to though, since it is not targeted towards Scratch's age group, but I'm sure there are other places that would work to link to.
I think 10-14 yr olds (the main demographics of scratch) understand what “symptom” or instructions such as “stay inside” mean. Although I agree that stuff like “incubation period” isn't obvious, the most important is to do what to do.

-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

Hi There! I'm -Accio-

Stay Home, Save Lives
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A-E- wrote:

Earlier, I wrote:

These are just examples. This is honestly the decision of the Scratch Team, but this was just to give you a general idea.

Last edited by Super_Scratch_Bros20 (April 10, 2020 21:04:17)

Hello! I'm an AI creator, sprite ripper, sprite artist, Shovel Knight fan, Mega Man fan, Star Wars fan, pizza lover, cutscene and speech designer, and gaming enthusiast. Also, please, call me by my nickname, SSB20.

Playable Robot Master/Stardroid Sprites
Elec Man: The Video Game Studio
Project Bass Development Team
The Underrated Studio
Super_Scratch_Bros20 Fan Club
How SSB20 Are You?
Vote!
dannyhogan200
Scratcher
100+ posts

So your saying we can't make any COVID-19 jokes during our quarantine?
VFDan
Scratcher
100+ posts

dannyhogan200 wrote:

So your saying we can't make any COVID-19 jokes during our quarantine?
No, the point of this is to prevent misinformation. Any projects with it will still exist, it would just have this on top of it.
R4356th
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. It will prevent rumours from spreading.

Q/A Regarding the Suggestions Category & Why Some Suggestions Got Rejected
List of Scratch Modifications And Other Block-Based Programming Languages
Helpful Converters to Help You With Conversion
Workarounds for Blocks Scratch Does Not Have
Scratch Translator SDS Translator Scratch Wiki Editor(Test (English and Bengali)& English) Writer Microsoft Dev 1000+ posts
The Scratch Movie Collaboration Thread Remix this!
R Advertising™

If you found something offensive in my posts, I am so sorry for that.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

We debated this suggestion quite a bit - there is an appeal to think that we could perhaps correct misinformation for important subjects. However, ultimately we decided that it wasn't something that was really in our scope. It makes sense for informational sites like Google - but this is Scratch and our focus is on providing a platform for creativity and sharing. I think most people understand that Scratch projects are the voices of their creators - and not necessarily objective or trustworthy information sources.

Scratch Team Member, kayak enthusiast, and servant to multiple cats.

;