Discuss Scratch

-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

COVID-19 is a large issue in our world today, and lots of misinformation is being spread around the internet about the virus, treatment, prevention, origin, numbers, etc. This misinformation can be very dangerous because it can lead to people believing incorrect facts, which could lead to people posing a greater risk of getting the virus to themselves and others.

Therefore, I propose that Scratch implements a small information panel which appears on projects containing certain keywords. This information panel would include a brief description of the virus, as well as links to reputable websites (eg. WHO's website) which Scratchers can visit to find out more information about the virus.

Sites such as Youtube and Google have already implemented this idea, with Youtube videos about the virus containing a small information panel with links to reputable sources, and Google searches containing “COVID-19” or similar terms containing a panel with information about symptoms, prevention, treatment, statistics, and sources to find out more.

A list of keywords which could cause this panel to be added to a project include:
-COVID-19
-COVID19
-SARS-CoV2
-Coronavirus
-Corona
-Virus
-Pandemic
-Epidemic
-Social Distancing
-Physical Distancing
-Self Isolation
-Quarantine

I believe that the implementation of this suggestion would be extremely beneficial in helping to prevent misinformation about the virus, and to help keep everyone safe and healthy.

Mockup:

Last edited by -Accio- (April 3, 2020 19:24:50)


Hi There! I'm -Accio-

Potterhead | Ravenclaw | Forum Helper | SDS Curator | Science | Math

Stay Home, Save Lives
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

Semi-support. It'd be helpful to prevent panic and false information, but Scratch is not really a search engine nor a information depository.

ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

So, are you suggesting we do like youtube, where it links to the CDC's website?



do you want some free vbucks? free vbucks
-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

So, are you suggesting we do like youtube, where it links to the CDC's website?
Yes, although I would suggest that since Scratch is used all around the world, it would either:

1. Link to the website of the country's public health agency (this is the one that Youtube does; if you view Youtube outside the USA, it won't link to the CDC's website, it will link to the website of the CDC equivalent for that country)
2. Link to WHO's website, since they are an international health agency
3. Link to Both

Hi There! I'm -Accio-

Potterhead | Ravenclaw | Forum Helper | SDS Curator | Science | Math

Stay Home, Save Lives
PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

This is supposed to be a kids site. If projects with those words had a bunch of links, how many people would actually read them? I'm assuming they are very wordy and not not aimed for kids. Youtube has more of an teen/adult audience, so it makes sense for them to have this. But not on Scratch.

Although it's a nice idea, it doesn't seem practical for this kind of website.

Last edited by PrincessFlowerTV (April 3, 2020 15:08:18)


♛✿ PrincessFlowerTV ✿♛
but you can call me PFTV for short.
Just the average teen girl who is a Christian, dyslexic, artist, Forum Helper, Wiki editor, and is homeschooled. Oh yeah, also i'm obsessed with pastels & the enneagram. Ok, perhaps i'm not quite as "average" as I thought...
-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

PrincessFlowerTV wrote:

This is supposed to be a kids site. If projects with those words had a bunch of links, how many people would actually read them? I'm assuming they are very wordy and not not aimed for kids. Youtube has more of an teen/adult audience, so it makes sense for them to have this. But not on Scratch.

Although it's a nice idea, it doesn't seem practical for this kind of website.
Looking at the Statistics Page, the top three ages of Scratchers are 12, 11, and 13. Users of these ages are most likely educated enough to understand words like symptoms, treatment, and prevention which are found on WHO's website. Although they might not understand all the scientific terms, they will understand common instructions like “Wash your hands”, or “Stay two meters away from sick people”.

Hi There! I'm -Accio-

Potterhead | Ravenclaw | Forum Helper | SDS Curator | Science | Math

Stay Home, Save Lives
ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

-Accio- wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

So, are you suggesting we do like youtube, where it links to the CDC's website?
Yes, although I would suggest that since Scratch is used all around the world, it would either:

1. Link to the website of the country's public health agency (this is the one that Youtube does; if you view Youtube outside the USA, it won't link to the CDC's website, it will link to the website of the CDC equivalent for that country)
2. Link to WHO's website, since they are an international health agency
3. Link to Both
Ok, then support, as this would teach kids why they should stay inside and why its a worldwide emergency.



do you want some free vbucks? free vbucks
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

No support. Scratch is a programming language, not a wikipedia.

Hello! I'm an AI creator, sprite ripper, sprite artist, Shovel Knight fan, Mega Man fan, Star Wars fan, pizza lover, cutscene and speech designer, and gaming enthusiast. Also, please, call me by my nickname, SSB20.

Playable Robot Master/Stardroid Sprites
Elec Man: The Video Game Studio
Project Bass Development Team
The Underrated Studio
Super_Scratch_Bros20 Fan Club
How SSB20 Are You?
Vote!
-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

No support. Scratch is a programming language, not a wikipedia.
What do you mean? The point wouldn't be to provide an entire article on COVID-19, just a brief description and a couple links.

Hi There! I'm -Accio-

Potterhead | Ravenclaw | Forum Helper | SDS Curator | Science | Math

Stay Home, Save Lives
allwoodaj
Scratcher
52 posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

-Accio- wrote:

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

No support. Scratch is a programming language, not a wikipedia.
What do you mean? The point wouldn't be to provide an entire article on COVID-19, just a brief description and a couple links.

It's not Scratch's job to inform us of the coronavirus. If you want information, then try wikipedia instead.

Sadly, my signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
allwoodaj
Scratcher
52 posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

-Accio- wrote:

COVID-19 is a large issue in our world today, and lots of misinformation is being spread around the internet about the virus, treatment, prevention, origin, numbers, etc. This misinformation can be very dangerous because it can lead to people believing incorrect facts, which could lead to people posing a greater risk of getting the virus to themselves and others.

Therefore, I propose that Scratch implements a small information panel which appears on projects containing certain keywords. This information panel would include a brief description of the virus, as well as links to reputable websites (eg. WHO's website) which Scratchers can visit to find out more information about the virus.

Sites such as Youtube and Google have already implemented this idea, with Youtube videos about the virus containing a small information panel with links to reputable sources, and Google searches containing “COVID-19” or similar terms containing a panel with information about symptoms, prevention, treatment, statistics, and sources to find out more.

A list of keywords which could cause this panel to be added to a project include:
-COVID-19
-COVID19
-SARS-CoV2
-Coronavirus
-Corona
-Virus
-Pandemic
-Epidemic
-Social Distancing
-Physical Distancing
-Self Isolation
-Quarantine

I believe that the implementation of this suggestion would be extremely beneficial in helping to prevent misinformation about the virus, and to help keep everyone safe and healthy.

Also, we should probably remove self isolation from the keyword list. Imagine saying, “I don't have very many friends, and I live in self isolation,” and then an article about the coronavirus pops up. That would be odd and maybe found a bit mean.

Sadly, my signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

allwoodaj wrote:

-Accio- wrote:

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

No support. Scratch is a programming language, not a wikipedia.
What do you mean? The point wouldn't be to provide an entire article on COVID-19, just a brief description and a couple links.

It's not Scratch's job to inform us of the coronavirus. If you want information, then try wikipedia instead.
Yes, but there is a lot of misinformation going around Scratch, and young children don't want to take the time to fact check and believe these lies.

Last edited by ThatOneWeirdDude (April 3, 2020 17:30:09)




do you want some free vbucks? free vbucks
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

Yes, but there is a lot of misinformation going around Scratch, and young children don't want to take the time to fact check and believe these lies.

But if they don't fact check, they won't know the truth. Still, Scratch isn't a wikipedia, it's a programming language. If you want information, you should reserve time to do it yourself. It's not Scratch's job to inform us of the coronavirus.

Hello! I'm an AI creator, sprite ripper, sprite artist, Shovel Knight fan, Mega Man fan, Star Wars fan, pizza lover, cutscene and speech designer, and gaming enthusiast. Also, please, call me by my nickname, SSB20.

Playable Robot Master/Stardroid Sprites
Elec Man: The Video Game Studio
Project Bass Development Team
The Underrated Studio
Super_Scratch_Bros20 Fan Club
How SSB20 Are You?
Vote!
allwoodaj
Scratcher
52 posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

Besides, let's say you were right. If people are feeling lazy and don't want to look up facts, then Scratch should say it for them. But if this was the case, why stop at the coronavirus? We should inform anyone of any fact if they type in any keyword. Typing sentences would cause a million popups. Plus, it would be very time-consuming to the Scratch Team to make this.

What would be the point if you could look it up yourself? You can't make anything good without putting time into anything.

Sadly, my signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

Yes, but there is a lot of misinformation going around Scratch, and young children don't want to take the time to fact check and believe these lies.

But if they don't fact check, they won't know the truth. Still, Scratch isn't a wikipedia, it's a programming language. If you want information, you should reserve time to do it yourself. It's not Scratch's job to inform us of the coronavirus.
YouTube isn't Wikipedia, but they still provide the COVID-19 panels. Many companies have sent emails or have put information on their websites about COVID-19, and it would be good for Scratch to do the same.

Hi There! I'm -Accio-

Potterhead | Ravenclaw | Forum Helper | SDS Curator | Science | Math

Stay Home, Save Lives
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

-Accio- wrote:

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

Yes, but there is a lot of misinformation going around Scratch, and young children don't want to take the time to fact check and believe these lies.

But if they don't fact check, they won't know the truth. Still, Scratch isn't a wikipedia, it's a programming language. If you want information, you should reserve time to do it yourself. It's not Scratch's job to inform us of the coronavirus.
YouTube isn't Wikipedia, but they still provide the COVID-19 panels. Many companies have sent emails or have put information on their websites about COVID-19, and it would be good for Scratch to do the same.

I think that would be kind of useless too, for it isn't YouTube's job to be doing that, either. YouTube is a video sharing site, not a wikipedia. It's also not a health care agency, or a hospital, or anything of that matter. They don't have the position to be doing that, and neither does Scratch.

Hello! I'm an AI creator, sprite ripper, sprite artist, Shovel Knight fan, Mega Man fan, Star Wars fan, pizza lover, cutscene and speech designer, and gaming enthusiast. Also, please, call me by my nickname, SSB20.

Playable Robot Master/Stardroid Sprites
Elec Man: The Video Game Studio
Project Bass Development Team
The Underrated Studio
Super_Scratch_Bros20 Fan Club
How SSB20 Are You?
Vote!
ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

-Accio- wrote:

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

Yes, but there is a lot of misinformation going around Scratch, and young children don't want to take the time to fact check and believe these lies.

But if they don't fact check, they won't know the truth. Still, Scratch isn't a wikipedia, it's a programming language. If you want information, you should reserve time to do it yourself. It's not Scratch's job to inform us of the coronavirus.
YouTube isn't Wikipedia, but they still provide the COVID-19 panels. Many companies have sent emails or have put information on their websites about COVID-19, and it would be good for Scratch to do the same.

I think that would be kind of useless too, for it isn't YouTube's job to be doing that, either. YouTube is a video sharing site, not a wikipedia. It's also not a health care agency, or a hospital, or anything of that matter. They don't have the position to be doing that, and neither does Scratch.
Yet, they do it. Because they care about giving FACTS not LIES.



do you want some free vbucks? free vbucks
allwoodaj
Scratcher
52 posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

Yet, they do it. Because they care about giving FACTS not LIES.

@Super_Scratch_Bros20 is right. They have no role to do that. If you want facts about the coronavirus, go here. If you don't know whether a rumor about the coronavirus is true, and you can't find anything ever that ever mentions that rumor, then assume it is FALSE.

Besides, remember when I wrote

allwoodaj wrote:

Besides, let's say you were right. If people are feeling lazy and don't want to look up facts, then Scratch should say it for them. But if this was the case, why stop at the coronavirus? We should inform anyone of any fact if they type in any keyword. Typing sentences would cause a million popups. Plus, it would be very time-consuming to the Scratch Team to make this.

What would be the point if you could look it up yourself? You can't make anything good without putting time into anything.

Sadly, my signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
allwoodaj
Scratcher
52 posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

Also, if you want info on the COVID-19 pandemic, go here.

Sadly, my signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Provide a COVID-19 information panel on projects which contain certain keywords

Yeah. The Scratch Team's job is to build a programming language, not to make pop-ups about the coronavirus.

Hello! I'm an AI creator, sprite ripper, sprite artist, Shovel Knight fan, Mega Man fan, Star Wars fan, pizza lover, cutscene and speech designer, and gaming enthusiast. Also, please, call me by my nickname, SSB20.

Playable Robot Master/Stardroid Sprites
Elec Man: The Video Game Studio
Project Bass Development Team
The Underrated Studio
Super_Scratch_Bros20 Fan Club
How SSB20 Are You?
Vote!

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile