Discuss Scratch

SpudowAndMe
Scratcher
4 posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

I'm sure lots of people will agree with this. Scratchers like me and lots of other people aren't Will_Wam or Griffpatch but we know how to code and we have some good games shared. But no one sees them because people like Griffpatch and Will_Wam are up at the first search. Please could you fix this and make it fair for Scratchers like me and others so we can also be recognized by other people and have a motive to carry on coding. Thanks in advance I guarantee you it will be appreciated by lots of people.

Last edited by Paddle2See (March 6, 2020 16:00:42)

scratchInginterview
Scratcher
26 posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

This doesn't below here so I'll ask to move this to Questions About Scratch or Suggestions.

smileycreations15
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

scratchInginterview wrote:

This doesn't below here so I'll ask to move this to Questions About Scratch or Suggestions.
*belong

Web Developer | Active in the Requests forum | Active Scratcher | Give me internets! | Latest Project

i….love sticks
peck…pick peck peck















I changed my pfp
SpudowAndMe
Scratcher
4 posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

scratchInginterview wrote:

This doesn't below here so I'll ask to move this to Questions About Scratch or Suggestions.
ok i wasn't too sure as to where it would go i just really wanted scratch team to see it and change it so underdogs can become as good as people like Griffpatch
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

It is nice to get views and comments from a lot of people that are interested in what you are making. That is a big incentive to continue Scratching, for a lot of people. Do you have any specific suggestions for how we might make this happen better in Scratch?

Scratch Team Member, kayak enthusiast, and servant to multiple cats.

;
--Explosion--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

What I learned is that at first, you need to advertise and join lots of studios and stuff whee you can be seen, then you need to release a really good game you spent a lot of time on and ask for feedback on it, this will make the person you asked for feedback see your game and if it's good, and they might love or favorite it.
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

--Explosion-- wrote:

What I learned is that at first, you need to advertise and join lots of studios and stuff whee you can be seen, then you need to release a really good game you spent a lot of time on and ask for feedback on it, this will make the person you asked for feedback see your game and if it's good, and they might love or favorite it.
This isn't about getting big on Scratch, it's about shedding light on the numerous smaller yet capable Scratchers.

ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

Negative support.

Seriously. The reason why Griffpatch got famous was not because of how good his projects were, but through word of mouth. Take Paper Minecraft for example. Somebody noticed, told all their friends about it, and so on and so forth.

This is why even good projects get buried beneath inferior ones – it depends on what kinds of projects the community enjoys. If we give those unwanted (though good) projects extra attention, it won't solve the problem because nobody will play them.

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. Colossians 4:6

Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

ResExsention wrote:

This is why even good projects get buried beneath inferior ones – it depends on what kinds of projects the community enjoys. If we give those unwanted (though good) projects extra attention, it won't solve the problem because nobody will play them.
Are you mistaken? This isn't about the quality of projects per se, but giving more of a chance for smaller creators to be known. Your process of how Paper Minecraft got popular even says that somebody noticed. This suggestion is talking about getting more to notice.
Also, Griffpatch did get popular because of his high-quality projects; if they weren't, it wouldn't have easily caught on.

ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

fdreerf wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

This is why even good projects get buried beneath inferior ones – it depends on what kinds of projects the community enjoys. If we give those unwanted (though good) projects extra attention, it won't solve the problem because nobody will play them.
Are you mistaken? This isn't about the quality of projects per se, but giving more of a chance for smaller creators to be known. Your process of how Paper Minecraft got popular even says that somebody noticed. This suggestion is talking about getting more to notice.
Also, Griffpatch did get popular because of his high-quality projects; if they weren't, it wouldn't have easily caught on.

My key word here was “unwanted.”

If we're going to implement this we can't just start exposing random projects. They need to be selected carefully according to what most of the community likes at a given time; and we could also have a (much smaller) section for other projects for those who prefer a different genre. If we do the former – as I said – it won't solve the problem.

Last edited by ResExsention (March 7, 2020 05:58:50)


Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. Colossians 4:6

Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
SpudowAndMe
Scratcher
4 posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

Well you could sort it by the LESS amount of views so that people have to scroll down to see the most popular ones so that the underdogs (like me and others) can have their projects viewed. My most popular project has twenty-ish views. It's a remix and the creator of the original game even loved it. Or, you could sort it by having people with below 300 views to be at the top to make the Scratch community a lot more balanced.
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

SpudowAndMe wrote:

Well you could sort it by the LESS amount of views so that people have to scroll down to see the most popular ones so that the underdogs (like me and others) can have their projects viewed. My most popular project has twenty-ish views. It's a remix and the creator of the original game even loved it. Or, you could sort it by having people with below 300 views to be at the top to make the Scratch community a lot more balanced.
There is one problem, though.
Projects with the least views will be at the top. Projects that are shared earlier are, obviously, more likely to be at the top.
We basically end up with a return of “Recently shared projects” row (but this time it's a page). It was removed for a good reason: to stop exploiters from sharing inappropriate projects to get on the front page.

This post is brought to you by WindOctahedron's brain™, the brain of our queen of acronyms, or quofac.
I is next to U on a QWERTY keyboard. WE are neighbors.
Chain letters are spam, and are against the rules. Copy and paste this message on 10 different profiles to get reported!*
*This is not meant to threaten anyone, and it's just a joke based on irony. Still, the first sentence is true, so don't copy and paste this.
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

Maybe this page (recent projects) should get more attention.

You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHub, or unsubscribe.
--Explosion--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

And if the issue with this would be automatically selecting projects using views, loves and favorites and instead we had selected people choose them, it would just turn into curating.
KatAnimatez
Scratcher
16 posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

I think that maybe we could have a page for projects that have less than X views or something. And then all the projects that have less than X views will get that attention they are missing.

I am who I am.
Not who you think I am.
Not who you want me to be.
I am me!

And I will tame that displacer beast!
coder2045
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

KatAnimatez wrote:

I think that maybe we could have a page for projects that have less than X views or something. And then all the projects that have less than X views will get that attention they are missing.
There would be many millions of projects with a low number of views.

(° °) (ಠ_ಠ) Kumquat Army
Power: 2836
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

I think you're right. You know where you can search for either the most “popular” projects or “trending” projects? Maybe we should expand it. If you have a good project that not many people have ever seen, it would be really hard to find it.

Hello! I'm an AI creator, sprite ripper, sprite artist, Shovel Knight fan, Mega Man fan, Star Wars fan, pizza lover, cutscene and speech designer, and gaming enthusiast. Also, please, call me by my nickname, SSB20.

Playable Robot Master/Stardroid Sprites
Elec Man: The Video Game Studio
Project Bass Development Team
The Underrated Studio
Super_Scratch_Bros20 Fan Club
How SSB20 Are You?
Vote!
KatAnimatez
Scratcher
16 posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

coder2045 wrote:

KatAnimatez wrote:

I think that maybe we could have a page for projects that have less than X views or something. And then all the projects that have less than X views will get that attention they are missing.
There would be many millions of projects with a low number of views.
There are also millions of projects that have many views. We only see the ones that are trending currently. I assume that the page would also have filters to find exactly what you are looking for.

I am who I am.
Not who you think I am.
Not who you want me to be.
I am me!

And I will tame that displacer beast!
SpudowAndMe
Scratcher
4 posts

Hey Scratch Team [more recognition for lesser-known Scratchers]

maybe when a project gets a certain amount of views, then it gets put lower on the list. Following KatAnimateZ post but improving on it, let's say if a project gets 500 or 1000 loves/favorites, it gets pushed down and replaced by a less popular game similar to it.

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile