Discuss Scratch

gosafer
Scratcher
50 posts

Scratch Link on Windows 7 with Micro:Bit

I need to use Scratch3.0 and Micro:Bit together on Windows 7. But the Scratch Link seems not correctly run on Win 7. Is there any alternative to Scratch Link on Win7 that can link Scratch 3.0 and Micro:Bit together? Thanks!
Smilingouido
Scratcher
83 posts

Hello,

I think it's better to just use Windows 10.
This is even free:Upgrade Manual. Microsoft has been told that, but they have not changed it for years.
In addition, Windows 7 will no longer receive security updates from January 2020.
If this is not possible for you, just try it with this editor for the micro: bit: Open Roberta Lab.
Also, if you use the Offline Editor, try the Online Version. And if you use the Online Editor, you can try the Offline Editor.

Smilingouido

Smilingouido - Don't forget to smile.
Scratch On! Check out my Profile here and maybe follow me!
And feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

gosafer
Scratcher
50 posts

Smilingouido wrote:

Hello,

I think it's better to just use Windows 10.
This is even free:Upgrade Manual. Microsoft has been told that, but they have not changed it for years.
In addition, Windows 7 will no longer receive security updates from January 2020.
If this is not possible for you, just try it with this editor for the micro: bit: Open Roberta Lab.
Also, if you use the Offline Editor, try the Online Version. And if you use the Online Editor, you can try the Offline Editor.

Smilingouido

Thanks for your advise! But I do need to use Micro:Bit on Win 7 and not upgrade to Win 10.
SimpleScratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

There are rumours that its going to be open-sourced shortly.

Maybe once (if) that happens - then someone can adapt it to work on Win7 for you
gosafer
Scratcher
50 posts

SimpleScratch wrote:

There are rumours that its going to be open-sourced shortly.

Maybe once (if) that happens - then someone can adapt it to work on Win7 for you

The ScratchLink installer checks the Windows version, so I just copied the installed Scratch Link files from Win 10 to Win 7, and the ScratchLink.exe can run successfully.

TCP 0.0.0.0:20110 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING InHost

So I continued to test connection between Scratch3 Micro:Bit extension and Scratch Link service by test this URL on Win 7:
wss/127.0.0.1:20110/scratch/ble

Unfortunately, the connection was closed immediately.
TCP 127.0.0.1:53130 127.0.0.1:20110 TIME_WAIT InHost

So I have to hack the ScratchLink binary and it's wrotten by C#. By the code, class BluetoothLEDevice is used. and it's only available in win 10, that's why it failed on Win 7!

===from MSDN==================================
BluetoothLEDevice Class
Assemblies: Windows.Devices.Bluetooth.dll, Windows.dll
Windows 10 requirements
Device family Windows 10 (introduced v10.0.10240.0 - for Xbox, see UWP features that aren't yet supported on Xbox)
======================================

private async Task Connect(JObject parameters)
{
if (this._services != null)
{
throw JsonRpcException.InvalidRequest(“already connected to peripheral”);
}
ulong peripheralId = parameters.ToObject<ulong>();
if (!this._reportedPeripherals.Contains(peripheralId))
{
throw JsonRpcException.InvalidParams(string.Format(“invalid peripheral ID: {0}”, peripheralId));
}
BluetoothLEDevice bluetoothLEDevice = await BluetoothLEDevice.FromBluetoothAddressAsync(peripheralId);
this._peripheral = bluetoothLEDevice;
GattDeviceServicesResult servicesResult = await this._peripheral.GetGattServicesAsync(1);
if (servicesResult.Status != null)
{
throw JsonRpcException.ApplicationError(string.Format(“failed to enumerate GATT services: {0}”, servicesResult.Status));
}
bluetoothLEDevice = this._peripheral;

I'm thinking to write my own ScratchLink and not use the Bluetooth method so that it can be used on Win 7 and Win 10.
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Smilingouido wrote:

snip
Please do not encourage people to upgrade their operating system. Especially to Windows 10.

Placeholder
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

Smilingouido wrote:

snip
Please do not encourage people to upgrade their operating system. Especially to Windows 10.
Windows 7 support end in January, 2020. It's worth it to upgrade to Windows 10.

Plus don't try and use the telemetry excuse.
Windows 7 has the same level of tracking and telemetry as Windows 10, they just didn't use it for ads back then.

Game Over
You'll find me on @LastContinue from now on.
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bybb wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Smilingouido wrote:

snip
Windows 7 support end in January, 2020. It's worth it to upgrade to Windows 10.

Plus don't try and use the telemetry excuse.
Windows 7 has the same level of tracking and telemetry as Windows 10, they just didn't use it for ads back then.
That's not the point. Windows 10 is one of the most slowest operating systems I've ever used. It also introduces too many compatibility issues. Also, it's updates can cause major issues, like that recent one that deleted users files. It simply doesn't have the same quality control as other Windows operating systems - it doesn't feel as nice to use as 7, and as I said, it's updates can cause severe issues with your computer as they are not bug-tested properly. I wouldn't suggest upgrading to Windows 10 unless you really need to.

Last edited by dude341 (Jan. 31, 2019 16:00:46)

Placeholder
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

Windows 10 is one of the most slowest operating systems I've ever used.
Really? I fine it quite to be one of the faster OSes I've used.

dude341 wrote:

It also introduces too many compatibility issues.
I've never experience this and considering Windows 10's kernel is nearly identical to Windows 7's, I don't believe this.

dude341 wrote:

Also, it's updates can cause major issues, like that recent one that deleted users files.
I updated early to 1807 and had no problems, the issues didn't affect automatic updates, but rather manual updates as Microsoft were deploying test builds to “advanced users”.

dude341 wrote:

It simply doesn't have the same quality control as other Windows operating systems - it doesn't feel as nice to use as 7. I wouldn't suggest upgrading to Windows 10 unless you really need to.
I agree with all of this except the last part, as Windows 10 brings new features such as Bluetooth Low Energy support within the .NET framework.

Game Over
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bybb wrote:

dude341 wrote:

dude341 wrote:

It also introduces too many compatibility issues.
I've never experience this and considering Windows 10's kernel is nearly identical to Windows 7's, I don't believe this.

dude341 wrote:

Also, it's updates can cause major issues, like that recent one that deleted users files.
I updated early to 1807 and had no problems, the issues didn't affect automatic updates, but rather manual updates as Microsoft were deploying test builds to “advanced users”.

dude341 wrote:

It simply doesn't have the same quality control as other Windows operating systems - it doesn't feel as nice to use as 7. I wouldn't suggest upgrading to Windows 10 unless you really need to.
I agree with all of this except the last part, as Windows 10 brings new features such as Bluetooth Low Energy support within the .NET framework.
I agree. Windows 10 seems to work pretty well for me. And it is fast. But the QC has had issues, but a lot of that comes from the high rate of updates.

Edit: and as an IT person, I must say that sometimes we need to tell people to upgrade. After all, Windows 7 has a year of support left. Many users are and will not be happy about that, but that doesn't change the fact that it will be a big security and even stability issue.
And for those who cannot afford an upgrade: Linux may be a good option.

Last edited by infinitytec (Jan. 31, 2019 18:59:04)

My PC: Ryzen 7 2700 / ASRock x470 Master SLI/AC / 16GB RAM / 1 TB SSD / 2TB HDD / Radeon RX 5700 / Windows 10 Pro
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

iirc, a Windows 7 key will activate a Windows 10 install.
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

Yes and Windows 7 keys can be bought for <$2 on ebay.

Of course it's a shared key, but if you want a legal way to get rid of “Activate Windows” message, do it. Microsoft doesn't like it, but they do nothing to stop it.

Last edited by bybb (Jan. 31, 2019 22:18:47)

Game Over
Inkulumo
Scratcher
500+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

if not, you can use the windows 10 downloader and select the upgrade option.

((inkulumo :: extension) :: extension ring )
[/scratchblocks]
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

It's not really about being able to “afford” it. In my case, I do a lot of software development on my “daily driver” laptop, and over time Windows got more and more in the way of things I wanted to do. I had Cygwin installed and I used it for my programming stuff, and once WSL came out I found myself almost exclusively using just WSL and a web browser on my machine. So I figured there's no point to sticking with Windows and using a Linux abstraction layer when I can just run (GNU/)Linux directly

(I still have a small windows dual boot configured for games, but with Valve's recent push for gaming on Linux with Proton, that's probably going away soon )

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
karol_pykosz
Scratcher
15 posts

dude341 wrote:

Smilingouido wrote:

snip
my dad does not allow me to install windows 10
when green flag clicked
ask [me:dad, i can install windows 10??] and wait
say [dad: no.] for (2) secs
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

karol_pykosz wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Smilingouido wrote:

snip
my dad does not allow me to install windows 10
when green flag clicked
ask [me:dad, i can install windows 10??] and wait
say [dad: no.] for (2) secs
Please do not blockspam and necropost. This topic has been dead since Feb 1. 2019

Game Over
ElsieBreeze
Scratcher
100+ posts

bybb wrote:

dude341 wrote:

This may be because of HDD/SSD stuffs. Windows 10 really does not like booting from an HDD, one of the biggest upgrades you can make to an old PC running Windows 10 is moving to an SSD. I'm not surely exactly what they've changed, but booting from HDD is pure pain (and not as in the French word for bread).

You could also try running Windows 10 inside a Virtual Machine, that'd be a good way to avoid Windows 10 whilst running Windows 10. It's what I do.

Greetings! I'm ElsieBreeze (but y'all can call me Elsie). I'm just a girl who loves to code, nothing too extravagant

Working on some fun stuffs.
Host System : Gentoo/Linux || AMD Ryzen 2700x || GTX 960 / GTX 1070 || 32GB DDR4 RAM || 11TB Mechanical store || 720GB Solid State Storage
Guest VM: Windows 10 Pro || 8x AMD Ryzen 2700x threads || GTX 1070 || 12GB RAM || 10TB Mechanical storage || 240GB Solid State Storage
Like Tetris? Try https://xnopyt.com/js-tetris.html Or, for a twist: https://xnopyt.com/js-pentris.html
santibarbi3023
New to Scratch
2 posts

ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
100+ posts

santibarbi3023 wrote:

Ah, yes. I understand everything now. You've added so much to this topic.

My signature ate a kumquat ᶜᶦᵗᵃᵗᶦᵒⁿ ⁿᵉᵉᵈᵉᵈ

Spaceship Battle
Computer Problems - A User-Generated Comic - Taking Suggestions

Quest to 500
{||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}

;