Discuss Scratch

turkey3_test
Scratcher
1000+ posts

3.5mm Headphones Don't Fit Into Jack

I apologize if this does not belong in this forum, but this is the tech forum, right? Anyways, I am planning on making Scratch Video tutorials, but the problem is that my headphone 3.5mm plug will not fit into my laptop mic/headphone combo port. It will not go any further than 3/4 of the way through. Do you have any tips on what might be the problem? Nothing would have ever gotten into it, as it's a fairly new laptop and I really have never moved it. (I've always had this issue) Thanks! I really want to make Scratch video tutorials and would prefer to use my headset instead of laptop mic.

GP1
Scratcher
100+ posts

Although this doesn't fit into this forum (a moderator might move it), I happen to know something that would help. Go to RadioShack, or just order online, a USB sound interface, such as http://www.amazon.com/External-Sound-Adapter-Desktop-Notebook/dp/B000BUDHNQ. A combo port needs a combo headset, which it sounds like you don't. There is another way, but if you don't know electronics, I wouldn't recommend it (building a split-off from combo jack to a stereo jack and mic jack from electronics parts), and it would be more expensive. Just buy a sound interface, it is the easiest way.

turkey3_test
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GP1 wrote:

Although this doesn't fit into this forum (a moderator might move it), I happen to know something that would help. Go to RadioShack, or just order online, a USB sound interface, such as http://www.amazon.com/External-Sound-Adapter-Desktop-Notebook/dp/B000BUDHNQ. A combo port needs a combo headset, which it sounds like you don't. There is another way, but if you don't know electronics, I wouldn't recommend it (building a split-off from combo jack to a stereo jack and mic jack from electronics parts), and it would be more expensive. Just buy a sound interface, it is the easiest way.
I do have a combo headset. I mean that the port is for either speakers or mics. My headset has both.

GP1
Scratcher
100+ posts

turkey3_test wrote:

GP1 wrote:

I do have a combo headset. I mean that the port is for either speakers or mics. My headset has both.
Well, by you saying combo port, I was thinking of something completely different. I was thinking of one where the speakers and mic jack are built into one, making it longer than just a mic or just a speaker jack. In that case, I don't know why it doesn't fit, but still my recommendation of a USB sound interface would work.

bobbybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

turkey3_test wrote:

GP1 wrote:

This may take a bit more time to do, but the second solution isn't that difficult, or expensive. It does require some basics electronics knowledge and a visit to your local Radioshack, (as well as permanently damaging the cable on the headset), but it is a great learning experience.

“Ooo, can I call you Señorita Bee?” ~Chibi-Matoran
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Most modern laptops have a TRRS port like on iPhones, so they should work with 3.5mm headsets. Even if it had a regular audio out/in only port (TRS), the TRRS plug would still fit in it, so that's not the problem. OP said the plug wouldn't even fit all the way in.

Buying a separate usb audio interface seems unnecessary.

You should take your laptop to the place you bought it to see if they can replace/repair it. Maybe something is stuck in your port, or it is a manufacturing fault.

Then again it may actually be your headset plug that is bent or something.
turkey3_test
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jji7skyline wrote:

Most modern laptops have a TRRS port like on iPhones, so they should work with 3.5mm headsets. Even if it had a regular audio out/in only port (TRS), the TRRS plug would still fit in it, so that's not the problem. OP said the plug wouldn't even fit all the way in.

Buying a separate usb audio interface seems unnecessary.

You should take your laptop to the place you bought it to see if they can replace/repair it. Maybe something is stuck in your port, or it is a manufacturing fault.

Then again it may actually be your headset plug that is bent or something.
Eh, it's not the headset because it works in my iPad. I just came up with a better alternative. I record through the iPad in GarageBand with the headset, and then import it onto the computer to make the tutorial videos. Thanks anyway! I don't really feel like taking it in