Discuss Scratch

lederniersamourai
Scratcher
500+ posts

Remember that this project may have been made by someone new to programming ...

VERY GOOD automatic hint !!!
One of the best enhancement for 2.0 !!! (Did not notice that in 1.4)

You might add something similar to the forum “Help with Scripts”:
when a new scratcher asks something and when an “experienced” scratcher answers just adivse him:
- not to remix the project with a clean, complete and more efficient solution
- suggest only bits of solutions
- advise good structuring practice with concrete examples
- provide links to “old” didactical projects, …
- … (I'm not a teacher, and I do not know nothing in education, so those examples are not the best ones …)

VERY VERY GOOD !!!

Should be the subject of a PhD Thesis in education !!! Measuring the impact on the learning curve of the community !!!
Could be used for other kinds of communities of practices.

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think a sticky topic in the HwS forum with this information would suffice for this, but I do agree that this information would be useful. (Also, yes, the notification that many users are new was there on 1.4, but only for the first few days an account existed)

Also, I think andresmh (the guy who designed the 1.X website) did some sort of degree thesis on social and educational programming, and I think the topic you are talking about was included in it (he programmed the website as part of it).

jvvg
Administrator and backend engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Executive director of FutureSight Technologies
lafoudre
Scratcher
100+ posts

I did not read all that stuff …
personalised advices are a lot better … but only they are appropriate and never fail and provide a wromg advice …
tips can be great for the community

By the way, jvg, I have a 2002 Packard Bell with 500Mb (not even 1Gb), and everything is ok … if you do one thing at at time (i.e. no two apps, one window, kill, kill kill unwanted/uneeded processes with takmanager …;-)

Do not wait … just keep playing with Scratch!
lederniersamourai
Scratcher
500+ posts

jvvg, thanks a lot for those infos.
There should be more PhD for education than for Googel-ing or for Facebook-ing …

Why not a personalised tip of the day for each relationship (new scratcher- new scratcher, new scratcher- old scratcher, old scratcher - old scratcher).
Personalized just means: not to give twice (or 3 times. —) the same tip to the same person.

I see that there are lots of requests for “technical” capabilities, but less requests for “living together” in the community …

Thanks again.