Discuss Scratch

fashionista1223
Scratcher
43 posts

Comment Monitors!

Let me address the main reason people are getting into trouble on Scratch: Comments! Bad Comments! Inappropriate comments!
So I say we need “Comment Monitors”! Wait, don't go away yet! There's more! Even if “Comment Monitor” isn't official, if we all pitch in and monitor comments, and then report all the bad comments to the ST, then the amount of disrespectful comments would decrease over time!
So who's with me? To become a Comment Monitor, go to my profile, or just ask, right here and right now!
We all need Scratch to be a better place, one Scratcher at a time! You can make a difference! If we work together we can all change the world!

I hope you become a Comment Monitor. You can make a difference! Scratch on!

Thanks, Fashionista1223

As you read this siggy, I am standing in front of a giant computer, that is about to eat me. Wish me luck and–*CHOMP*

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comment Monitors!

We already know to keep Scratch safe.

fashionista1223
Scratcher
43 posts

Comment Monitors!

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

We already know to keep Scratch safe.

I know. But I just meant that the people that are comment monitors, they would especially keep an eye out for bad comments.

As you read this siggy, I am standing in front of a giant computer, that is about to eat me. Wish me luck and–*CHOMP*

cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Comment Monitors!

Everyone is technically already a “Comment Monitor” since everyone can report bad comments when they see them.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
fashionista1223
Scratcher
43 posts

Comment Monitors!

cheddargirl wrote:

Everyone is technically already a “Comment Monitor” since everyone can report bad comments when they see them.

*smiles* Yeah, you're right, cheddargirl. I'm not very good at this yet, although I thought this would be a good idea because not everyone really cares when they see one. So then when someone is a “Comment Monitor,” it would assure that someone would actually do it. I see your point, though.

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comment Monitors!

Are you talking about a comment monitor that targets bad comments? Like going to a front paged project for the purpose of reporting spam/bad comments? If it is that, then I SUPPORT!! I would like to be a comment monitor!

College student studying communication theories, amateur jazz piano player, bicyclist, perfectionist, and just someone trying to stay as healthy and fit as possible.
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Comment Monitors!

fashionista1223 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

*smiles* Yeah, you're right, cheddargirl. I'm not very good at this yet, although I thought this would be a good idea because not everyone really cares when they see one. So then when someone is a “Comment Monitor,” it would assure that someone would actually do it. I see your point, though.

Rather than assigning only a few people to watch comments, it would be better to encourage everyone to flag bad comments when they see them. After all, the Community Guidelines does ask us to do this already: Help keep the site friendly. If you think a project or comment is mean, insulting, too violent, or otherwise inappropriate, click “Report” to let us know about it.

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comment Monitors!

cheddargirl wrote:

Rather than assigning only a few people to watch comments, it would be better to encourage everyone to flag bad comments when they see them. After all, the Community Guidelines does ask us to do this already: Help keep the site friendly. If you think a project or comment is mean, insulting, too violent, or otherwise inappropriate, click “Report” to let us know about it.

I think that he/she is suggesting to have a couple of scratchers, whose job is to target specific comments by searching for them by purpose, such as by going to front paged projects for the purpose of reporting bad / spam comments. Sure, others could report comments, but I think he/she is talking about a person that searches for bad comments and reporting it instead of waiting to come across one.

@ fashionista1223: Is that right? Is that what you intend to suggest?

Last edited by joshuaho (Oct. 21, 2013 22:32:32)

College student studying communication theories, amateur jazz piano player, bicyclist, perfectionist, and just someone trying to stay as healthy and fit as possible.
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Comment Monitors!

joshuaho wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

I think that he/she is suggesting to have a couple of scratchers, whose job is to target specific comments by searching for them by purpose, such as by going to front paged projects for the purpose of reporting bad / spam comments. Sure, others could report comments, but I think he/she is talking about a person that searches for bad comments and reporting it instead of waiting to come across one.

Mods and ST members did that back on the old website, but with the new word filters and other functions in place, there isn't much need for it now. What we just need is for users to do is flag a bad comment when we see them.

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comment Monitors!

cheddargirl wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Mods and ST members did that back on the old website, but with the new word filters and other functions in place, there isn't much need for it now. What we just need is for users to do is flag a bad comment when we see them.
Oh, ok.

fashionista1223
Scratcher
43 posts

Comment Monitors!

joshuaho wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Oh, ok.

You guys are both right. Well, let's all flag bad comments when we see them. Thanks, cheddargirl and joshuaho! You guys rock!