Discuss Scratch

ABCScratch123
Scratcher
47 posts

Add pseudo-free chatrooms

Pseudo-free chatrooms are like safe chatrooms except that users can add their own phrases.
scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sorry, too easy to bully people

We don't want this:
addPhrase( “You suck go die”)

I am a Lava Expert
ABCScratch123
Scratcher
47 posts

Well, if you don't want that to happen in your chatroom, go away.
Another option, if you can handle the difficulty of doing this, is to block certain people.
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ABCScratch123 wrote:

Another option, if you can handle the difficulty of doing this, is to block certain people.
Scratch is a kids site to help them learn to program, not facebook or twitter, or any of those sites. Comments work just as good, but with awesome moderators to keep them safe.
xlk
Scratcher
100+ posts

it's sad, chatrooms are fun, yet very problematic…

mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

ABCScratch123 wrote:

Scratch is a kids site to help them learn to program, not facebook or twitter, or any of those sites. Comments work just as good, but with awesome moderators to keep them safe.
^

3DS FC: 3239-6065-2543 (Ask me before adding) | AS: Alex~ | X: Alex (DWS)
Ask me on my profile about XYORAS breeding requests!

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.11.3, Safari 9.0.3, Flash 20.0 (release 0)
ABCScratch123
Scratcher
47 posts

Then go away.
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ABCScratch123 wrote:

Then go away.
Hey, we're here to explain the dangers of a chat room, not be incessant anti-supporters. Realize that Scratchers can and will add harmful phrases if permitted this, regardless of its “safety.”

ABCScratch123
Scratcher
47 posts

Then give the owner the ability to remove phrases!
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ABCScratch123 wrote:

Then give the owner the ability to remove phrases!
It still wouldn't stop the phrases from being added. And once they are, they may already have been used for harmful purposes.

Still, if you were to add the words to a blacklist, your project could be flagged for containing profane language, regardless of it being used.

ABCScratch123
Scratcher
47 posts

OK, I'm adding that all instances of the remove phrase are removed from the servers.
fullmoon
Scratcher
13 posts

I'm not sure I understand how a ‘psuedo-free’ chatroom, where you can add phrases at will, is any different than a chatroom with no filtering. At any rate, the Scratch team is not going to add chatroom functionality to the site — they have enough on their hands without additional discussion venues to moderate
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

ABCScratch123 wrote:

Pseudo-free chatrooms are like safe chatrooms except that users can add their own phrases.
Thanks for your suggestion - but I don't see how that is any improvement over a chat where anybody can say anything. It would still require moderation.

Scratch Team Member, kayak enthusiast, and servant to multiple cats.

Za-Chary wrote:

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

;
TeamMagixZone
Scratcher
100+ posts

The only GOOD way to chat in chatrooms is “Quick Chat” or “Safe Chat”, however you wish you call it.

Although It would take time before it gets shared.
Poosheku
Scratcher
72 posts

Mabye they could Program it so that it can detect what someone puts in, e.g. if someone types in “you suck” for example then it will kick them out and alert the Scratch team, I've found a few websites do that.

ABCScratch123
Scratcher
47 posts

Poosheku wrote:

Mabye they could Program it so that it can detect what someone puts in, e.g. if someone types in “you suck” for example then it will kick them out and alert the Scratch team, I've found a few websites do that.
That's it!
DotDash
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ABCScratch123 wrote:

Poosheku wrote:

That's it!
That's not allowed.

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.8.5, Chrome 29.0.1547.76, Flash 11.8 (release 800)
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ABCScratch123 wrote:

Then go away.

If someone does not like your idea, you need to respect that. They have given the reason why they don't support, and that is a fact.

Know for certain that when you make a suggestion, people can either support or not support.

This suggestion has been suggested and rejected.

jvvg wrote:

Allowing “free” chatrooms (i.e. where users can type in whatever they want) - for now, they are not allowed because of the potential for bullying, and there is no good way to moderate them. If you want to make a chat program, you may make a “safe” chat, where users can only select from a few messages.

Last edited by joshuaho (Oct. 21, 2013 19:16:26)

Communication Tip for Scratchers: When you're posting something on Scratch, keep in mind that your message can be read differently by others. In other words, think about how they may interpret your message before posting.
Chainmanner
Scratcher
100+ posts

ABCScratch123 wrote:

That didn't really help anybody…

Poosheku wrote:

Good luck with that. People will always find workarounds.
TeamMagixZone
Scratcher
100+ posts

ABCScratch123 wrote:

Poosheku wrote:

That's it!

Wouldn't work, they can bypass it. such as “you s.u.c.k”