Discuss Scratch

SimpleScratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch UI mod to make it easier for kids (please help!)

sdmeijer wrote:

Just use the scissor tool at the top of the screen.
With the scissor you can remove one block of a stack.

So, you don't need a mod.
Wow - You learn something new everyday

Simon
SimpleScratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

And the stamp tool duplicates a block - who knew?

Simon
sdmeijer
Scratcher
100+ posts

With the SHIFT-button pressed while clicking on a block (with the scissor) keeps the scissor.
This way you can cut multiple blocks after each other.

P.S. I've noticed that the scissor-tool in Scratch 2.0 deletes the clicked block and all block beneath it.
I'm going to file a feature request to restore the 1.4 functionality.
lihkan
Scratcher
9 posts

I see you've all been chatting, and yes, sdmeijer, that should solve the problems. Also, having Scratched for years on end, and taught it to 30 people, I can say there is a very easy way around it. I can't say if this was mentioned, but try taking out the chunk that moves, selecting the block you want to remove, and then replacing the chunk where it was. This is, however, time-consuming when doing a lot of code.

I do, however, fear there may be a problem. Smalltalk Scratch (1.0-1.4.1) is typically rather tempermental (did I spell that right?). When you go into core settings, or even when you don't, there's a few commands that have broken down (from my personal experience). First up, I wouldn't know where to start, and second, changing that section might damage the rest the of the code. However, if it's simpler than I think, yes, it could be modded, I suppose.

Please RSVP anyone with a clue on where that code would be (I don't have enough time to trawl through a few thousand sets of Smalltalk/Squeak code).

Lihkan.

Novelist. Poet. Scriptwriter. Chorist. Singer. Songwriter. Actor. Artist. Blogger. Thinker. Student. Gamer. Tired.

Oh, and Scratcher. Don't forget Scratcher.
SimpleScratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

@sjoerd
I can't believe I didn't know about the scissors tool being used in this way - really brilliant for removing a block
Coder85
Scratcher
12 posts

Hey, thanks! That's a pretty sweet little trick. That will definitely help, although it doesn't really address the core issue I'm describing (the way loops close up when you remove something), it does make it easier to remove a single line.