Discuss Scratch

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

There are three things this topic suggests: 1) User Ignoring System, 2) Report as Spam, and 3) Comment Blacklist
1&2) As discussed before in this topic:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Can anyone recommend alternatives to the ignore list - especially that they know work well on other sites? I've heard of “muting” users, temporarily, and that causing them to get an ever increasing score that may eventually block them. But I don't know how well that works….
If people like the way other sites do this, please mention them by name and include screenshots - we'd be interested in learning more.
On YouTube, when a comment is flagged for spam or have a low thumbs rating, they are hidden, and can be shown with a “Show” button.

If we do implement an Ignore User system, a person viewing a comment from a user on his/her Ignore List doesn't see the comment at first.
Username
Comment ignored. Show Comment
When “Show Comment” is clicked, this happens:
Username Report▼
Blah blah blah blah blah. Hide Comment ►Inappropriate ►Spam
Reply
This would resolve the issue with not seeing comments that could be potentially harmful.
EDIT: Also incorporated my idea of Reporting as Spam.
EDIT2: Having a single user on tons of others' Ignore lists will not automatically ban him/her.

3) I'm also suggesting a new addition to the commenting system: a blacklist

This blacklist would contain several previously reported comments that were evaluated by moderators. So say a user posts “this game sucks” on a popular game. It gets reported, then once the moderator finds it mean/disrespectful/inappropriate, he/she will add it to the comment blacklist, which prevents future comments from being the same as it. This way, once a mean comment has been said, it cannot be said again in the exact words. Eventually, a large enough pool of bad comments will prevent most mean comments from being posted.
EDIT: As an additional feature of this, punctuation marks (. , ! ? ' " ; : etc) will be ignored. *Rejected*
EDIT2: If a user tries to post a blacklisted comment, it will be blanked out and reported immediately.

Yes, I do realize some users can bypass this idea by typing in extra characters in the word, but the rule of thumbs is “one and done.”

Supporters:
ProdigyZeta7
mitchboy
jvvg
joshuaho
chocolatepenguin
zorket (blacklist)
Scratch12300
Rumanti
Maltese_Falcon
lundfamily3 (ignore list)

Last edited by ProdigyZeta7 (Oct. 31, 2013 21:36:23)




mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

Support.

Capsicum annuum.
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

There are no perfect solutions to the problem of rude comments, but this one seems like a nice idea.

Another thing that might make it more effective is to check comments without punctuation, that way if “this project stinks!”, is blacklisted, it will also automatically blacklist “this project stinks!!”, “this project stinks.”, “this project stinks”, etc.

jvvg
Administrator and backend engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Executive director of FutureSight Technologies
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

jvvg wrote:

There are no perfect solutions to the problem of rude comments, but this one seems like a nice idea.

Another thing that might make it more effective is to check comments without punctuation, that way if “this project stinks!”, is blacklisted, it will also automatically blacklist “this project stinks!!”, “this project stinks.”, “this project stinks”, etc.

1. Agreed.

2. What if punctuation changes the whole meaning? I can't think of an example right now, but this might introduce some strange false-positives.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

There are two things this topic suggests: 1) User Ignoring System. 2) Comment Blacklist
1) As discussed before in this topic:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Can anyone recommend alternatives to the ignore list - especially that they know work well on other sites? I've heard of “muting” users, temporarily, and that causing them to get an ever increasing score that may eventually block them. But I don't know how well that works….
If people like the way other sites do this, please mention them by name and include screenshots - we'd be interested in learning more.
On YouTube, when a comment is flagged for spam or have a low thumbs rating, they are hidden, and can be shown with a “Show” button.

If we do implement an Ignore User system, a person viewing a comment from a user on his/her Ignore List doesn't see the comment at first.
Username
Comment ignored. Show Comment
When “Show Comment” is clicked, this happens:
Username
Blah blah blah blah blah. Hide Comment
Reply
This would resolve the issue with not seeing comments that could be potentially harmful.

2) I'm also suggesting a new addition to the commenting system: a blacklist

This blacklist would contain several previously reported comments that were evaluated by moderators. So say a user posts “this game sucks” on a popular game. It gets reported, then once the moderator finds it mean/disrespectful/inappropriate, he/she will add it to the comment blacklist, which prevents future comments from being the same as it. This way, once a mean comment has been said, it cannot be said again in the exact words. Eventually, a large enough pool of bad comments will prevent most mean comments from being posted.
EDIT: As an additional feature of this, punctuation marks (. , ! ? ' “ ; : etc) will be ignored.

Yes, I do realize some users can bypass this idea by typing in extra characters in the word, but the rule of thumbs is ”one and done."
AWESOME!!!!! I so support on that!

College student studying communication theories, amateur jazz piano player, bicyclist, perfectionist, and just someone trying to stay as healthy and fit as possible.
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

Failord wrote:

jvvg wrote:

There are no perfect solutions to the problem of rude comments, but this one seems like a nice idea.

Another thing that might make it more effective is to check comments without punctuation, that way if “this project stinks!”, is blacklisted, it will also automatically blacklist “this project stinks!!”, “this project stinks.”, “this project stinks”, etc.

1. Agreed.

2. What if punctuation changes the whole meaning? I can't think of an example right now, but this might introduce some strange false-positives.

Bullying is something I hate. You agree?
Bullying is something. I hate you. Agree!

^ That right there.

(Not that I hate you! :O)

mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

dracae wrote:

Failord wrote:

jvvg wrote:

There are no perfect solutions to the problem of rude comments, but this one seems like a nice idea.

Another thing that might make it more effective is to check comments without punctuation, that way if “this project stinks!”, is blacklisted, it will also automatically blacklist “this project stinks!!”, “this project stinks.”, “this project stinks”, etc.

1. Agreed.

2. What if punctuation changes the whole meaning? I can't think of an example right now, but this might introduce some strange false-positives.

Bullying is something I hate. You agree?
Bullying is something. I hate you. Agree!

^ That right there.

(Not that I hate you! :O)
You could just workaround that by saying “I hate bullying”, which is what most people would say. And people wouldn't normally say “Bullying is something”, and then “Agree”.

Capsicum annuum.
chocolatepenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

Support, but in order to be optimised many edits need to be done.

zorket
Scratcher
500+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

I support the comment blacklist, it is an excellent idea for blocking spam! However, I do not support that spam comments should be viewed at ALL, even with the blah blah blah, because all you get is a show button that shows a bunch of blahs you don't care about anyway, and you know that someone spammed your project.

Try out my new strategy/luck game: Battleship!
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

There IS just deleting the comment, if it's on one of your projects… However, they might come back and do it again…

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
zorket
Scratcher
500+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

One idea: For the blacklist, it blocks the bad comments and similar things to those comments. That way, people don't use workarounds:

WARNING: This isn't me saying the below stuff, it's just for an example.
This game sucks!
this game sucks!
this game sucks
This game sucks
Tis game sucks
Thls game sucks
This sucks

Try out my new strategy/luck game: Battleship!
NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

zorket wrote:

One idea: For the blacklist, it blocks the bad comments and similar things to those comments. That way, people don't use workarounds:

WARNING: This isn't me saying the below stuff, it's just for an example.
This game sucks!
this game sucks!
this game sucks
This game sucks
Tis game sucks
Thls game sucks
This sucks
Someone could say:

“Wow, you broke your leg? This sucks… Hope you get better soon!”
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

NoxSpooth wrote:

zorket wrote:

One idea: For the blacklist, it blocks the bad comments and similar things to those comments. That way, people don't use workarounds:

WARNING: This isn't me saying the below stuff, it's just for an example.
This game sucks!
this game sucks!
this game sucks
This game sucks
Tis game sucks
Thls game sucks
This sucks
Someone could say:

“Wow, you broke your leg? This sucks… Hope you get better soon!”

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

This blacklist would contain several previously reported comments that were evaluated by moderators. So say a user posts “this game sucks” on a popular game. It gets reported, then once the moderator finds it mean/disrespectful/inappropriate, he/she will add it to the comment blacklist, which prevents future comments from being the same as it. This way, once a mean comment has been said, it cannot be said again in the exact words. Eventually, a large enough pool of bad comments will prevent most mean comments from being posted.



NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

zorket wrote:

One idea: For the blacklist, it blocks the bad comments and similar things to those comments. That way, people don't use workarounds:

WARNING: This isn't me saying the below stuff, it's just for an example.
This game sucks!
this game sucks!
this game sucks
This game sucks
Tis game sucks
Thls game sucks
This sucks
Someone could say:

“Wow, you broke your leg? This sucks… Hope you get better soon!”

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

This blacklist would contain several previously reported comments that were evaluated by moderators. So say a user posts “this game sucks” on a popular game. It gets reported, then once the moderator finds it mean/disrespectful/inappropriate, he/she will add it to the comment blacklist, which prevents future comments from being the same as it. This way, once a mean comment has been said, it cannot be said again in the exact words. Eventually, a large enough pool of bad comments will prevent most mean comments from being posted.
I was talking about zorket's idea, not yours.
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

NoxSpooth wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

zorket wrote:

One idea: For the blacklist, it blocks the bad comments and similar things to those comments. That way, people don't use workarounds:

WARNING: This isn't me saying the below stuff, it's just for an example.
This game sucks!
this game sucks!
this game sucks
This game sucks
Tis game sucks
Thls game sucks
This sucks
Someone could say:

“Wow, you broke your leg? This sucks… Hope you get better soon!”

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

This blacklist would contain several previously reported comments that were evaluated by moderators. So say a user posts “this game sucks” on a popular game. It gets reported, then once the moderator finds it mean/disrespectful/inappropriate, he/she will add it to the comment blacklist, which prevents future comments from being the same as it. This way, once a mean comment has been said, it cannot be said again in the exact words. Eventually, a large enough pool of bad comments will prevent most mean comments from being posted.
I was talking about zorket's idea, not yours.
Oh, whoopsies.
But I was clarifying that even though “this sucks” was contained within the sentence, if it isn't the whole sentence then it won't be taken as a blacklisted comment.



zorket
Scratcher
500+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

That is true. But the scratch team can still program ways to prevent bad stuff, blacklisting words that surely have a negative meaning, like name calling. Also, some people could figure out about the blacklist, and keep posting different types of spam, dodging the blacklist with ease, because there are an infinite number of ways to be rude on the internet.

Last edited by zorket (July 12, 2013 19:03:54)


Try out my new strategy/luck game: Battleship!
DotDash
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

zorket wrote:

That is true. But the scratch team can still program ways to prevent bad stuff, blacklisting words that surely have a negative meaning, like name calling. Also, some people could figure out about the blacklist, and keep posting different types of spam, dodging the blacklist with ease, because there are an infinite number of ways to be rude on the internet.
But atleast it will will lower the amount of comments by some

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.8.5, Chrome 29.0.1547.76, Flash 11.8 (release 800)
Scratch12300
Scratcher
500+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

S

U

P

P

O

R

T

Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

SUPPORT AND +1

:wq
mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution to Bad Commenting

zorket wrote:

That is true. But the scratch team can still program ways to prevent bad stuff, blacklisting words that surely have a negative meaning, like name calling. Also, some people could figure out about the blacklist, and keep posting different types of spam, dodging the blacklist with ease, because there are an infinite number of ways to be rude on the internet.
Not exactly infinite… There's only about 2,000,000 words in the English language and the vast majority of them can't be used in bad ways…


Capsicum annuum.

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile