Discuss Scratch

svenfoxpenguin
New to Scratch
2 posts

Values in tiles randomly become uneditable

Scratch version: 3.9 OS: Windows 10 running in VirtualBox under Ubuntu 20.04

When composing programs the values in tiles will suddenly become uneditable; i.e. when highlighted they're grey instead of blue and you can't change the value. The only remedy seems to be to quit the Scratch application and start it again. I've tried to look for correlates. If this has already occurred with a saved program, then restarting Scratch doesn't help; the tiles are uneditable from the beginning.

Any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks.
apple502j
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can you share the project? Also, did you see some alerts like “replace projects” before that? Can you open another random window on virtual windows (like notepad), switch to it and does it fix the problem? this may be https://github.com/LLK/scratch-desktop/issues/112

OSS Contributor & Translator of Scratch 3.0, Experienced Wikian @ enwiki, Admin @ jawiki
51 Pull Requests merged to LLK repository since April 4, 2018
Speaks English & Japanese

Scratch 3.0のOSS貢献者と翻訳者、英語版ウィキでExperienced Wikian、日本語版管理者
2018年4月4日から、51本のPRがいままでにLLKリポジトリにマージされました
日本語+英語
svenfoxpenguin
New to Scratch
2 posts

@apple502j Thanks so much for that tip! Opening Notepad and changing focus to that resolved the issue; i.e. the ability to edit values returned. It doesn't take any particular coding file to trigger this; in the example we tested with notepad it was happening with a single tile on the coding palette (not sure about the terminology, I'm a Scratch neophyte).