Discuss Scratch

Alextheyellow
Scratcher
28 posts

Masterpost/compilation: being signed out randomly, comments not loading/disappearing

Abigblueworld wrote:

Leafsparkle wrote:

Masterpost: Randomly being signed out, comments loading forever, and missing comments bugs

I've seen more than ten of these topics floating around. This topic aims to organize and list them so we don't have so many duplicates.

Here's the issue–
  • User clicks on Messages to view new notifications.
  • User clicks notification that says someone has replied on a profile or in a studio (1).
  • The profile page or studio linked to (with the url pointing to a specific comment, e.g., https://scratch.mit.edu/users/Leafsparkle/#comments-314159265) displays “Comments loading…” for as long as the tab is open (2).
  • Upon refreshing the page, the user is now signed out in that tab and everywhere else (3). They will have to log back in.
  • Even after multiple logouts and logins, clicking the link in Messages will log the user out, and the user profile or the studio will not show the comment.

(If I didn't describe it well, scroll down to “Other descriptions” for different explanations.)

Footnotes–
1. I'm only aware of this happening with profiles and studios. Projects seem to be unaffected. Comment below if you've got more information.
2. I've kept the same tab open, without refreshing it, for probably a day. It stayed at “Comments loading…” for the whole time.
3. I haven't tested how this works with multiple devices.

List of topics (non-exhaustive, organized by date of OP, let me know if I've missed a major one)–

Other descriptions–

1HappyFroYo1 wrote:

Sometimes when I go to a comment opened from my messages (epecially one that leads to a studio) the comments will load for a long time before I reload and get looged out. (…)

JKBisms wrote:

Sometimes, I will be on someone's profile, and the comments won't load. So I reload the page, and I am suddenly signed out.

Sniper_Legend wrote:

I have this bug issue as well, and frequently.
When you receive a notification that there is a comment, but it hasn't shown up on the actual page yet, the comments will get stuck “Loading”, and refreshing logs you out. Why the comment doesn't appear in the first place, I don't know, but that appears to be the underlying problem. (…)

Fireguy27 wrote:

I don't know why, but I went to check one of my messages to see one of my profile comments, and the profile comments wouldn't load. So I went to refresh the page, and as soon as I did, not only did the comments still have that issue, but I noticed I wasn't logged in. (…)

-MarvelComics- wrote:

(…) Sometimes when I get messages and I click the link that leads me to them, It does bring me to the page where the comments are but the comments won't load. When I try and refresh the page or click anything else, I get automatically signed out of my account (…)

CantDoStuff wrote:

(…) I found that when I clicked my message link to go reply that the comments wouldn't load. If I went into the studio without going through the messages, it would load the comments, but it would not load the person's reply. And often times when switching from different screens and refreshing my browser, it would log me out. (…)

Possible fixes–

A bunch of users wrote:

Wait a bit and the comments will appear. (I think the comment(s) appearing after a bit is probably because these users left comments on the profile(s)/studio(s) in question, thus clearing up the bug as seen in the Scratch Wiki entry and my description in this section – rather than because the page cleared itself up with no user intervention, intentional or otherwise. I've also put my thoughts on this in a separate post. –Leafsparkle)

Ian-Stewart wrote:

If you look in the “Possible Solutions” section on this wiki article, there are two solutions to this problem. Hope I helped! :D

Scratch Wiki wrote:

Sometimes, if a user comments on one's profile later, the comment that previously would not show may appear. Then, the user can view, reply, delete, or report the comment. This works with most users, but is only temporary. This will need to be done again when another comment will not show.

Clearing the browser's cache may help fix this problem. If one uses Google Chrome, they can go to “Clear Browser Data” in Settings, click “Advanced,” then select the following:
Browsing History
Download History
Cookies and other site data
Cached images and files
To clear the entire cache, one can select “All time.” Then, they can click “Clear Data.”
Note Warning: Clearing one's cache may sign the user out of some websites, requiring the person to login again. Also, it may take longer to open some websites because images and other graphics will need to be reloaded.

Leafsparkle wrote:

Go to the main profile or studio page (rather than the direct link to the comment). Leave another comment on the page. Then, look for the original comment. It should now appear, and clicking the direct link to it should not sign you out.

What now–
I hope this post helped you, and let's hope we can solve the issue! In the meantime, try the above fixes.

Comment below if you have additional fixes, other threads to add, hypotheses, or anything else!

You have no idea how much time I spent compiling this.

My browser / operating system: Linux, Chrome 74.0.3729.131, No Flash version detected

Edited for typo, content misrepresentation.
Edited again to add some more topics about the issue. There are so many of them…
Edited yet again. The reports keep coming in. Also, fixed the opaque Scratch Wiki wording.
Edited again right after edit no. 3 to note an observation about the “wait and the comments will load” possible fix.
Edited again right after edit no. 4 to link to further thoughts about this observation, which you can find through the link in this post and in the comments below.
Edited again to add another topic and note the possible unrelatedness of a previously added topic.
Edited again because I made a small and execrable formatting error.
Edited to add two new topics about the issue (sigh) and because I realized I've been doing lists wrong this whole time.
Edited to add another topic.
Edited to add another topic.
Hmm, the internet could be not working or (someone) really got in to your account. Or double check if the last page is logged in. Or restart your computer and log in again! I just help! Or just check if your computer protected your account from a comment virus.
Woah don't quote massive posts, like someone said to me, it clogs up the topic
vrie
Scratcher
100+ posts

Masterpost/compilation: being signed out randomly, comments not loading/disappearing

I'm often randomly signed out if I clicked on a forum topic. However it only happens if I originally logged in like this:

- I open a new tab
- I go straight to the forums home page (I've got it bookmarked)
- I click on a section.
- I'm logged out.

However, if I entered to forums from the main part of scratch I'm very rarely signed out.

emoijvile
Scratcher
3 posts

I am using pc. I go to make a project. It signs me out. I can’t log in though that page. I open a new page. I go to look at my messages. It says that something glitched. I checked my stuff. It says the same thing. You know, the pico one. So I go here and that message pops up multiple times. So I get on one of my tablets, and it took a long time to load, then the pico message. So I try again. That works. The part with getting signed out which a new project is normal. But everything else is new.

say [Vinaka!] for (∞) secs
play sound [ Ta-da ]
vrie
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'm often signed out randomly, whether I'm checking my messages or not. It's really weird.

ButtercupChickenfan
Scratcher
13 posts

I put a say for 2 seconds block on my sprite but for some reason the speech bubble wont disappear

please help me
ButtercupChickenfan
Scratcher
13 posts

I put a say for 2 seconds block on my sprite but for some reason the speech bubble wont disappear

please help me
MrScratchy09
Scratcher
94 posts

I've made a post about this. I wonder what is causing it.
Link: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/400266/?page=1#post-3976564

;
FireTractor
Scratcher
15 posts

Yup, i was redirected here after i said this exact problem on ‘contact us’

define Stay Safe
Wash your hands!
Stay home!
Work from home if possible!
Follow me!
PinkFlower101_1
Scratcher
83 posts

Harakou wrote:

Nice megathread - thanks

:O how did you get that signature powerpuff girls/my little pony thing?
Xoffhia
Scratcher
100+ posts

Comments take forever to load, and when I try to click on something I get signed out randomly.

This is Jade. She helps me to work on my projects!!!

(^  _  ^)

This signature has been eaten by an evil kumquat

when green flag clicked
set pen color to [#455]
switch costume to [costume3 v]
if <<touching color [#455] ?> = (pick random (0) to (200))> then
write down (Follow @Xoffhia)
end
Check out my projects for good luck!!!

This is Emotion Mania!!! Pick an emotion and that is the emotion you're feeling right now!

banana_cat303
Scratcher
56 posts

that keeps on happening to me
idk how to stop it and it's soooo anoying, when i was doing an RP, it kept on happening, and i couldn't see what they where saying
ask [how do you stop it?] and wait

@banana_cat303
blueberrycheescake hehehe! yummy
meh koala ran away to my profile, try and spot him
hedgiemay
Scratcher
77 posts

Here's a tip for making it go away. Just leave another comment on the page (like “reload,” or “comment glitch, ugh”). Reload the page and then go click on the link to it again. It usually works.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16. Call me Hedgie.
Robots and Princesses: a shop for all your RP needs (Open!)
wildfires1
Scratcher
10 posts

I have had trouble loading comments too! It will also randomly sign me out

when I log in
wait (pick random (1) to (300)) secs
sign out current (username)
when comments button clicked
do not load comments
hadi87
Scratcher
6 posts

I'm often signed out randomly, whether I'm checking my messages or not. It's really weird.
Scratchfurby
Scratcher
42 posts

I tried it and it happend to me

Hello, @scratchcat!
=^..^=
iogamesplayer
Scratcher
14 posts

Hey! I have too a bug, The clones don't start in my new Pikes.io project where i'm working on. So, first the clones don't start, then the “Load from your computer” button don't work. After that the “Safe” text doesn't work and then the “Share” button dissapears! I almost finished the game. No hacked blocks, no cloud chat. Everything legal so the Scratch Team can't take my project off. WHAT IS THIS
corner_crew
Scratcher
9 posts

Whenever I try to post a comment it says it has trouble loading and it won't post. This has been happening to me all day
KhelHellam
Scratcher
1 post

I teach kids using scratch and a lot of them have been signed out randomly while working on projects whenever scratch tries to auto save. The project ends up not saving at all no matter how many times try again is clicked. When they refresh the page they've been signed out and get a server error page because they're signed out and can't access their unpublished project. Whenever they sign back in their progress has been lost. This has happened several times to many different students of mine. Is anyone aware that this is frequently occuring?
willowmint-
Scratcher
100+ posts

In the post it says to mention if you've had this issue on projects:
Yes I have also had this glitch when I am trying to reply to comments on a project, I follow the link from my mail and then the comment isn't there, only the comments previous to it

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
- Psalm 46:1 <3
lumos713
Scratcher
2 posts

I'm not sure where this would be, but I think it's here, so….? Yeah. Anyway, I made a project that had pictures of real-life fanart I'd made (like, pictures from a sketchbook with terrible lighting). I made it like two days ago. So, I was trying to get to the project yesterday, but I got impatient waiting for it to load, so I went offline while the page was loading. Understandably, when I opened it today, there was one of those bug-glitch-sign-things. But when I tried to reload, it kept happening. I've already logged into my computer, so that can't be the issue. The project is really simple coding; only six blocks in total (though it does have a song, and, like, 6 backgrounds). The only other thing I could think of is that it was blocked, but I can't think of a reason why, unless it was just to be mean, but I think you get a message or something when that happens? So I'm not really sure what's going on.

Edit: Also, when I clicked the ‘reload’ button on-screen, instead of using the one in my tool bar, it sent me to my profile.
Other edit: Nevermind, it's fixed now : )

Last edited by lumos713 (June 12, 2020 17:06:54)